Dry Hop containers - stainless steel options

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Onthebrew

Dry Hop containers - stainless steel options

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:35 pm

So far when I dry hop I end up just chucking them in, both pellets and cones alike. I tried to use hop socks before but the hassle of sanitising them, and/or drying them, means that i just give up half way through and chuck my hops in as usual.

obviously chucking them straight in has its own drawbacks, so I am now thinking Stainless steel could be most hassle free solution.

Has anyone used either of these in their FV. I don't keg so would just be for FV.

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/keg-hopper.html

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/ball-filter.html

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Dry Hop containers - stainless steel options

Post by Fil » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:33 pm

your 2nd link looks awfully like the ebay T-balls ;) these have notoriously weak hinges, and only take a moment of rough handling to snap in 2, or perhaps i had a particularly dodgy one??

and #1 Cough splutter, my tea ended up sprayed on my lappy display when i saw the price!! buy an A4 sheet of SS mesh off ebay for a fiver and diy your own with a couple of silicone lazzy bands or butchers elastic or any foodsafe alternative.

Or have you considered a simple hop filter attached to your fv drain or racking cane?
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Can't comment on the stainless route but I dry hop (pellets and cones) in the FV and also only bottle.

Just created 6" square bags out of voile (well, got the daughter to run them up actually) and tie up with string with a weight inside - this is a polished pebble I've had for ages that is just sufficient to keep the bag under the surface.

After removal from the FV i rinse them through and chuck in with the normal clothes washing.

Once they're done and dried and I'm ready to add to the FV I simply dunk them in no rinse together with the length of string and pebble, remove, add the hops and pebble, tie-up and drop in . Never had a problem

k1100t
Piss Artist

Post by k1100t » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Fil wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:33 pm
and #1 Cough splutter, my tea ended up sprayed on my lappy display when i saw the price!! buy an A4 sheet of SS mesh off ebay for a fiver and diy your own with a couple of silicone lazzy bands or butchers elastic or any foodsafe alternative.
You can buy those direct from China for under a tenner*... Ali Express is you friend.

* You may get import charges though.
I like beer --- Currently rebuilding the brewery, this time with stainless...

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:48 pm

k1100t wrote:
Fil wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:33 pm
You can buy those direct from China for under a tenner*... Ali Express is you friend.

* You may get import charges though.
Not if it’s under a tenner and they’ll probably write gift on it anyway.......

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:47 pm

There are cheaper ones around, but was just showing examples of what I meant.

Would be interested if anyone has used or is currently using them. I am quite lazy (and a bit cackhanded if I'm honest! ) so don't get involved in projects and am therefore only after out of box solutions. As such i was interested in some feedback if anyone has tried them.

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm

I use one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=3A ... TE_3p_dp_1

and I also put a small shot glass in to provide some weight.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Ulsterman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:24 pm
I use one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?C=3A ... TE_3p_dp_1

and I also put a small shot glass in to provide some weight.
cool, how many hops can it hold? easy to clean?

london_lhr
Steady Drinker

Post by london_lhr » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 am

I don't think you could make it yourself at this price.............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Homebrew-Beer ... 1438.l2649
The Dengie

Ulsterman

Post by Ulsterman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Apologies for the late reply Onthebrew, I use 40g of hops (Nelson Sauvin) for an IPA which was just fine for my taste. Cleans in dishwasher

Excellent prices in the ebay link above from london_lhr.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:44 pm

ok cheers!

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 pm

May I ask what have been the drawbacks just chucking pellets in loose? I get precious few carrying over from the second bucket into the bottling bucket, and 99% of the tiny few that do get in settle out within minutes. I tried the tea balls once just to see if I could eliminate that 1% affecting literally the last two bottles, and some pellet material still got through. So I decided it wasn't worth further complication and I mark those bottles so I don't go entering them into a comp or anything.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:53 am

MTW wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 pm
May I ask what have been the drawbacks just chucking pellets in loose?
If you want to recover the yeast for more brews the pellet debris becomes a problem. Otherwise it is arguably better, as it guarantees high exposure from the hops to the beer.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:36 pm

MTW wrote:
May I ask what have been the drawbacks just chucking pellets in loose? I get precious few carrying over from the second bucket into the bottling bucket, and 99% of the tiny few that do get in settle out within minutes. I tried the tea balls once just to see if I could eliminate that 1% affecting literally the last two bottles, and some pellet material still got through. So I decided it wasn't worth further complication and I mark those bottles so I don't go entering them into a comp or anything.
I generally try do everything in the one fv, and rack direct from that. I don't don't even use a bottling bucket. Looking to continue that system with dry hopping.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:11 am

Onthebrew wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:36 pm
MTW wrote:
I generally try do everything in the one fv, and rack direct from that. I don't don't even use a bottling bucket. Looking to continue that system with dry hopping.
Fair enough. Before settling on what i do, I tried 9cm tea balls and I can report that a lot of pellet material went straight through them. I wouldn't put whole hops in such a limited space either. I think you'd need '40 mesh', maybe just 30, to contain pellet matter. I made a tube from 30 mesh once that fits a siphon cup and that worked with cones to an extent, but nowadays it's bottom taps, no filters, and an extra racking for me. I tried to skip the secondary recently and I have no idea how anyone bottles from primary with some yeast strains anyway, unless they don't mind heavy sediment. So many bits of yeast stuck around the sides that sink with the exiting beer and refloat, but I'm going OT...
Busy in the Summer House Brewery