Protofloc clogging hop filter?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Re: Protofloc clogging hop filter?

Post by sbond10 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Could not have it like a bazooka screen as in running straight across the pot than around

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm

sbond10 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 pm
Could not have it like a bazooka screen as in running straight across the pot than around
Of course. The braid is very flexible. Whatever takes your fancy. But running the braid around the circumference of the pot gives greatest length and more filter area.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:34 pm

You may find that over time (many brews) the braid can start to stretch out a bit, and the holes begin to close up in the process - at least mine always did. Its quite easy to plump it up again, I just mention because (being a gradual process) it can go unnoticed.
Kev

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:31 am

sbond10 wrote:So that litrally 2 90 degree elbows fasten onto the braid anythng in the middle
As PeeBee says, my picture is misleading. Just the one elbow, with a half inch barb screwed in. The hose clip isn’t pretty but it means I can take off the filter in seconds at the end of the brew day for cleaning.

Ian
Ian

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Protofloc clogging hop filter?

Post by donchiquon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:34 am

Kev888 wrote:You may find that over time (many brews) the braid can start to stretch out a bit, and the holes begin to close up in the process - at least mine always did. Its quite easy to plump it up again, I just mention because (being a gradual process) it can go unnoticed.
Agreed. Although I’ve found that I worry less about the holes these days - I let the batch settle for 30-45 minutes, then pump out slowly to the FV and finally try not to be greedy and force myself to leave around 3L in the bottom of the boiler.

If I manage to stick to this I get crystal clear wort. If I get greedy then I end up pumping a litre of sludge into the FV.

Some brewdays I must confess I am not very successful at curbing this urge.

Ian
Ian

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:54 am

Yes, waiting a little while before running off can be very beneficial, particularly in letting hops settle over the filter. They add extra filtration plus help to stop break clogging the filter. The clear run-off is very satisfying.

It isn't the end of the world if hot break and kettle debris make it to the fermenter, but I do prefer to leave them behind. I've the luxury of a conical, so for a while tried transferring as much as possible to it and then dumping sediment say a day later, but I lose more wort that way than by not transferring the kettle dregs to begin with, so it proved to be a false economy.
Kev

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:54 pm

1/2 tsp of Protafloc granules in a 25l brew. No need to hydrate 15 or 10 minutes in the boil, I've tried both times not seen a difference. Slowing the pump can help too, particularly as you get towards the last 5 litres or so.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:15 pm
sbond10 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 pm
Of course. The braid is very flexible. Whatever takes your fancy. But running the braid around the circumference of the pot gives greatest length and more filter area.
Also whirlpooling can help dump a lot of hops and trub in the centre.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:27 pm

orlando wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:54 pm
1/2 tsp of Protafloc granules in a 25l brew. No need to hydrate 15 or 10 minutes in the boil, I've tried both times not seen a difference. Slowing the pump can help too, particularly as you get towards the last 5 litres or so.
After some experimentation I decided 0.75g of protafloc granules in a 25l brew was plenty enough to give clear wort running out of the boiler. Too much and everything clogs up.

I use whole hops and whizz the brew round a few times in the boiler once it's cool. I like to believe it's creating a whirlpool effect! The brew drains out of the boiler using gravity and a syphon effect. Very clear after the first litre or so. With my average hop useage of about 100g there's about 3L left in the boiler at the end. A shame to lose five pints of beer, but that's how it goes!

Guy

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:50 pm

donchiquon wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:02 am
tourer wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:43 pm
Anybody know where i could get that 1" ? stainless braid from.
Sorry - only just spotted your question - here you go @tourer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Silicone ... 1438.l2649

Cheers
Ian
Thanks Ian, thats the next job.