lid on Lid off

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Re: lid on Lid off

Post by tourer » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm rubbish at adding photos so here goes:-
My heath Robinson steam extracter plus boiler or should i call it a sledge hammer to crack nut.
The last picture is with the extractor in place. I did want to put a pic of the brewery but i lost it, it's only our old kitchen units and sink but nice to have.
Fan.JPG
D:\keith\New Folder\New Folder\Pictures\2017-12-26
Underside.JPG
Fan fixed.JPG
Gas Boiler.JPG
Fan working.JPG

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:59 am

Oh, that's smart!
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01 am

I should think that must work very well, worth noting that the exhaust pipe is inclined downwards so any condensation will run outside.
The vessel looks a reasonable size be interested in more details of this out of curiosity.

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Fastline wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01 am
I should think that must work very well, worth noting that the exhaust pipe is inclined downwards so any condensation will run outside.
The vessel looks a reasonable size be interested in more details of this out of curiosity.
Yes jocky thats the "y" piece but with an extra piece of pipe to lift it away from the boiler. the pipe is angled downward to remove the condensation. The vessel is an old school kitchen boiler. The boiler was originaly run on natural gas so i made a jet to run it on Propane. Yes it's a powerful boiler it stays hot for long time making it harder to cool the wort with an emersion chiller. the capacity is not that great about 50 litres, i only fill to around 35 litres to finish with 24 litres leaving 1 litre for the hops and 23 litres for me. It's a bottom side draining valve which can sometimes be problem draining. Would i recommend one of these? yes if you wont something to last you two lifetimes. Did you notice the old computer disc under the boiler? thats so i can see the flame 8)
Bottom Drain.JPG

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 am

That is a great idea, and with a slight downhill slope avoids the drips running back. Nice one! How does the plastic cope with the heat?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:38 pm

Brewedout wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:22 am
That is a great idea, and with a slight downhill slope avoids the drips running back. Nice one! How does the plastic cope with the heat?

No problem Brewedout, if you look at the first picture you may just be able to see a very slight distorsion/bending of the pipe, but after many uses thats not bad and hardly noticable. I will add that it's important to get the right size inverter to maximize steam output if it's too small the fan may not cope with the output you wont. There may be info on the fan. I use a 1A inverter, dont know what i used it for originaly.

Brewedout
Piss Artist

Post by Brewedout » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 pm

A project for later on in the year for me I think

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi orlando, yes i do use a filter abeit one thats made from a rolled up spatter guard but all the trub obviousley falls to the lowest point "the outlet" so fine particals can/will find there way to the outlet. I prefer to use whole hops rather than pellets although i will use pellets if nothing else is available. My last brew based on Seymours citrus gold but using EKG whole homegrown hops (300g) loose and fuggles pellets put in a small bag. This brew was left chilling for 2 hours with water running slowly through the chiller while had a meal with the family.
You can see the inside of the boiler hear--
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79744&p=827619#p827619

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 pm

I use a marime ply lid cut in 3/4 and 1/4 pieces . In the bigger side close to edge i drill 3 32mm holes. Then stuck 3 x 32 mm straight white waste pipe into these holes (approx 3 inches long ) to this i put 3 x 90 degree on to the stumps the other end of the elbow i put more 32 mm straight waste pipe on a shallow slope out the shed .
This is on a 7.5kw gas burner and no problems with the plastic and the open flames done at least 10 brews like this with no major issues. The only small one is inside the boiler is so frigging its hard to see how strong the boil is so you have to do it by ear

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:09 pm

sbond10 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:41 pm
I use a marime ply lid cut in 3/4 and 1/4 pieces . In the bigger side close to edge i drill 3 32mm holes. Then stuck 3 x 32 mm straight white waste pipe into these holes (approx 3 inches long ) to this i put 3 x 90 degree on to the stumps the other end of the elbow i put more 32 mm straight waste pipe on a shallow slope out the shed .
This is on a 7.5kw gas burner and no problems with the plastic and the open flames done at least 10 brews like this with no major issues. The only small one is inside the boiler is so frigging its hard to see how strong the boil is so you have to do it by ear
sbond if you look at the lid i use it has a round inspection cover nearest to you in the picture which i swing across to put in late hops or for monitoring the boil.

sbond10
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:25 am

Mine has a inspection hole well if you imagine a whole circle and one third lifts off to add late hops view hops but you either get a face full of steam or its too dark to look in there.

Im off to figure how to put pictures on i may be some time

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Going back to the original question, is the reason for not wanting condensation to run back into the kettle just to allow the wort to concentrate or is it to allow unwanted chemicals/flavours to boil out?

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Paddington wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm
Going back to the original question, is the reason for not wanting condensation to run back into the kettle just to allow the wort to concentrate or is it to allow unwanted chemicals/flavours to boil out?
Hi paddington, my reason for making this extraction was purely to remove steam as the shed is plain wood so no sterile surfaces i can wipe down. Any other gain is a bonus. My beer is OK, i dont get any weird off tastes. I simply boil down for 1 hour or whatever the recipe calls for making allowances for a longer boil.

sbond10

Post by sbond10 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 am

It seems to be a myth regarding the lid has to be off. I know off at least 3 micros that boil with a lid on and some sort of extraction system and they have no ill affects.

As tourer says i also boil in a shed so for h/s reasons i cant brew naked so turning it into a mobile sauna isnt high on my agenda. So i have to have lid on and steam extracted out the side of the shed wall

tourer
Hollow Legs

Post by tourer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 pm

sbond10 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 am
It seems to be a myth regarding the lid has to be off. I know off at least 3 micros that boil with a lid on and some sort of extraction system and they have no ill affects.

As tourer says i also boil in a shed so for h/s reasons i cant brew naked so turning it into a mobile sauna isnt high on my agenda. So i have to have lid on and steam extracted out the side of the shed wall
sbond, i forgot to say i too have problems seeing inside the boiler as it's a bit dark so i use a torch to adjust the boil.