Racking to corny but no gas until tomorrow

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Onthebrew

Racking to corny but no gas until tomorrow

Post by Onthebrew » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Have a brew going today and have to free up a fermentation vessel. So just went to keg a brew to free up the fv but found out the gas is empty ( soda stream bottle seems to have leaked again!)

Question is can I rack to the keg without co2, purging, or so even sealing properly I guess? ... at least in the short term until I get some gas tomorrow? I know I could prime but would rather do it with co2 if possible.

Anyone done this?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Racking to corny but no gas until tomorrow

Post by MTW » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 pm

I would say you'll be OK. Doesn't sound like you've got much of a choice. The lid won't seal without pressure and you can't purge, but it's no worse than racking to an un-purged and non-airtight secondary bucket, and it's only for a day. Worse for hoppy brews.

Is it an S30 valve or similar on the 'soda stream' bottle? A tip going forwards: every time you finish using it, dip the valve in warm water for 30 seconds or so.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:22 pm

MTW wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 pm
I would say you'll be OK. Doesn't sound like you've got much of a choice. The lid won't seal without pressure and you can't purge, but it's no worse than racking to an un-purged and non-airtight secondary bucket, and it's only for a day. Worse for hoppy brews.

Is it an S30 valve or similar on the 'soda stream' bottle? A tip going forwards: every time you finish using it, dip the valve in warm water for 30 seconds or so.
Cheers it’s a krolsch so not too hoppy.

Not sure exactly it’s called but this is what ve used with a standard regulator https://www.brewuk.co.uk/soda-stream-adapter.html

The widget screws into regulator and The sodastream bottle screws into the widget. Maybe I don’t screw in tight enough?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:17 pm

Onthebrew wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:22 pm
MTW wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Cheers it’s a krolsch so not too hoppy.

Not sure exactly it’s called but this is what ve used with a standard regulator https://www.brewuk.co.uk/soda-stream-adapter.html

The widget screws into regulator and The sodastream bottle screws into the widget. Maybe I don’t screw in tight enough?
Ah, OK. I guess you're leaving the bottle attached all the time then, so you're relying on the seals being good into and out of the adaptor, and in the lines. I was meaning that if you're doing it with periodic blasts, keeping the headspace charged up, and when you remove the bottle for any reason from the adapter, dip the bottle's valve into some warm water for a few moments to make sure the pin comes straight back out without freezing; I used to do that with my Hambleton Bard bottle, pre-cornies, just out of habit.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

I leave it attached to thegulator but not the keg all the time as one bottle should do a couple of kegs. Also as the seal has been opened on the soda stream bottle won’t all the co2 escape if it was then removed from regulator?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Onthebrew wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm
I leave it attached to thegulator but not the keg all the time as one bottle should do a couple of kegs. Also as the seal has been opened on the soda stream bottle won’t all the co2 escape if it was then removed from regulator?
Oh maybe... Sorry, I've never used soda stream bottles, just the S30 ones (and 6Kg tanks). Someone else best chip in.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Ok cheers.