Would this work?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Would this work?

Post by Meatymc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Still a BIABer (on here as doesn't seem much activity on the other forum) and need to increase pan size - initially got a 33L pan when i should have gone for 50L. Also want to try and cut out the hassle of maintaining mash temp.

Now have electric in the garage so I need a 50L pan with a kettle element and temperature probe (which ones are best) linked to a controller set-up - similar to my brew fridge.

I'm toying with the idea of making a paddle which would be fixed to the lid and provide continuous movement of the wort and hopefully therefore have a more uniform temperature. Also thought I could have the probe in the paddle shaft so therefore in the dead centre of the wort. The paddle would be separately powered running continuously during the mash on 'low revs'.

Would this work?

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Would this work?

Post by jaroporter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:47 pm

even if you are stirring the mash with a paddle i'd still think that having the temperature sensor nearer the element would be sensible to prevent overshooting and causing problems. i'm assuming with this setup you'll have the bag resting on a false bottom above the element?
dazzled, doused in gin..

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:14 pm

I agree , much easier and cheaper to employ insulation to maintain a good mash temp rather than apply heat in the pot without at least recirculating the liquor. imho the risk of cooking and denaturing the enzymes that do the mash is too great iirc you only need to hit 80-85c to do the damage.

you would also need something with some grunt to keep the grain moving and to avoid complex gearing that probably means servo or stepper motor??
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:10 am

Look up RIMS and HERMS.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:03 am

Always happy to take good advice when it's offered! There would have been a false bottom in place but having done some calculations and, as fil points out, the idea of a simple 'paddle' and motor looks a non starter.

Only ever 'skimmed' on RIMS and HERMS so will look in more detail - no doubt there'll be everything I need, including kit recommendations, on here somewhere. Will also look into a better form of insulation rather than relying on chucking a couple of winter coats over the pot!

Cheers

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 pm

at that volume you wont need much insulation to maintain temperature for an hour or so. i find the rims is most useful for heating the mash liquor in the tun and then step mashing / mashout.
dazzled, doused in gin..