Recipe tweak advice please

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Recipe tweak advice please

Post by MTW » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:07 pm

I did the brew with Pilgrim and Progress, and it's down to 1.012 5 days on. It's tasting spot on. I notice a distinct honey aroma, and can only think this has come from the hops. Anyone heard of this from those two?
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:49 pm

never used pilgrim but it's not a standard progress flavour. i have a coupla times had a really strong honey scent to a beer (markable because i really don't like honey!) but have had a hard time pinning it down to anything in particular. once i blamed it on the s. aurora hops, but another time it showed up in a more standard beer (something probably like pale malt, challenger and 007). i do wonder if it's yeast derived, not neccessarily by itself but reacting with something else, possibly emphasised by residual sweetness.
see if it's still there in a week?

what grainbill did you settle on?
dazzled, doused in gin..

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:19 am

Grainbill was a base of Crisp Flagon pale, with about 7.5% caramalt, 6 Munich II, 3 wheat and 2.5 pale choc. Yeast 007 2nd gen.

The mash was 68 and it's not done fermenting yet of course. Will see how it goes. I just googled each of Pilgrim and Progress with 'honey', and honey comes up as a descriptor for both of them!
Busy in the Summer House Brewery