Conditioning in king keg exposed to light

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
andyisavinit

Conditioning in king keg exposed to light

Post by andyisavinit » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:28 pm

I've got a couple of kegs sat conditioning in my conservatory which is around 10 degrees at the mo, but it isn't dark in there during the day.

I know if your bottling then brown is the way to go, so shouldn't my kegs also be protected from daylight too?

Or is the thinker plastic of the keg, rather than clear glass, enough to keep harmful light from effecting the beer.

Rusticus
Steady Drinker

Re: Conditioning in king keg exposed to light

Post by Rusticus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:28 pm

I don't know the answer to this but I got my wife to make me a jacket out of some blackout curtain material. It's not black as I thought it would be but off white and fastens with velcro.
Russell.

andyisavinit

Post by andyisavinit » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:47 pm

Rusticus wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:28 pm
I don't know the answer to this but I got my wife to make me a jacket out of some blackout curtain material. It's not black as I thought it would be but off white and fastens with velcro.
I think a homemade kind of cover/jacket would be a good idea too. So you thought it was better to cover than leave exposed to the light.

MarkA
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by MarkA » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 pm

I have kept a King Keg in my spare room in the past with no detrimental effects, though it wasn't in direct sunlight. I would probably make a cover from a blanket or black bin liner just to be on the safe side.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Rusticus wrote:
I got my wife to make me a jacket out of some blackout curtain material. It's not black and fastens with velcro.
Rusti,
Is this OK for wearing when going Out, Out? =D>

WA

Rusticus
Steady Drinker

Post by Rusticus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:18 pm

I can manage velcro better than buttons when I have been drinking. Definitely not see-through!
Russell.

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Isn't the plastic that the kegs are made from supposed to stop UV light which is what causes skunking? It's the same with plastic fermentation vessels.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:04 pm

andyisavinit wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:47 pm
Rusticus wrote:
I think a homemade kind of cover/jacket would be a good idea too. So you thought it was better to cover than leave exposed to the light.
I do almost exactly this during most of the year. My kitchen hovers around 15-16C at present, so I just wrap the FVs with a couple of old coats and blankets.