hangovers

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Onthebrew

hangovers

Post by Onthebrew » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:03 pm

I rarely get hang overs at all, even after big sessions but i've started to get a few after some of my home brews. I had a few bottles of my IPA last night and felt it this morning- a persistent but not painful dull ache in the head. i've often drunk twice as much commercial beer( eg punk IPA) of a similar strength with no resulting hangover- so wondering what is the cause with my home brews- i generally follow best practise, and follow recipes and have a temp controlled brew fridge for fermentation.

i am quite liberal with the gypsum ( 8g in the mash to hit ph with 2g CC with tesco ashbec) could this be it? sulphates cause hangovers?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: hangovers

Post by Jocky » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Well the main cause for hangovers is dehydration. Drinking plenty of water during and after drinking has a big positive effect on the severity of a hangover. If you're dehydrated to start with then 3 beers can certainly cause the hangover that 6 would normally give you.

Outside of that normally it's fusel alcohols that cause an increase in severity of a hangover. They can give you a headache fairly quickly after drinking. They're usually caused by fermentation getting too warm, and may present in the beer as a 'hot' or 'solventy' alcohol aroma/flavour (but can be masked by other things).
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Onthebrew wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:03 pm
sulphates cause hangovers?
sulphites can cause hangovers. as in k-meta or campden tabs
is it just one brew or all of yours? mentioning punk as a comparism did immediately make me wonder about fusels and stuff if you're making stronger beers.
dazzled, doused in gin..

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Just some of them, and they are around 6 percent. Fine when drinking but It’s the next day it hits!

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:52 pm

i almost want to say i've heard too many hops can give headaches, but i'm such a slave to them they'd never let me..
dazzled, doused in gin..

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:45 pm

All I know is, the Youngs AIPA kit beer I made triggers cluster migraine on me. Doesn't matter if I only drink a bit either, it gives me a full on cluster attack if I drink it. Yet I've drunk Brewdog Jackhammer a few times with no ill effects. So yeah, I'd say it's something in the process rather than hops. I don't get hangovers though, because I don't get drunk. The rare occasion I have I sober up within 1 hour of stopping drinking and then get a nasty hangover... So I try to avoid it as seems pointless. lol

I can drink my AG homebrew in volume though with no ill effects. I don't as a rule brew strong AIPA though, strongest I made was a mosaic hopped smash which came out at 8%, which didn't trigger cluster migraine either (I didn't brew enough to get drunk, when sharing it with my wife. lol). I only started brewing AG November last year though.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 pm

I avoid consuming too many sulphites, myself. Cider, red wine and sausages all in moderation. Yes, even shop bought sausages give me a 'hangover'. Home made is much better all round :wink: My worst hangover was after combining all three, in excess. Never again!

Grindcrusher
Tippler

Post by Grindcrusher » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 pm

My brother gets insane hangovers from beer. A couple of pints and spends the whole day after in a dark room. He stopped drinking beer all together.
I bought him a hopped cider recently, will be interesting to see if it could trigger the same reaction. He’s not had it yet. I’ve also contemplated brewing him a gruit to test.

A home brewing friend who says he gets migraine like symptoms from overly hoppy beer.