Recipe calculations.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Jambo
Hollow Legs

Re: Recipe calculations.

Post by Jambo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:50 pm

I think Alex maybe meant multiply by 13 rather than 12!?

Other than that - I find this website useful for Brewdog clones - https://brewdogrecipes.com/

Whoever set that up has done a lot of work and you can download the recipes in xml format which loads straight into Beersmith (and others I think?).

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:35 pm

Jambo wrote:I think Alex maybe meant multiply by 13 rather than 12!?
Whops! Edited, I was never great at maths!!

charliemartin
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by charliemartin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:58 pm

Beer recipe calculators are very useful tools. I use Beer Engine myself, but the problem with brewing a recipe like the one you are going to brew is knowing what your efficiency in your system will be. When I brew a higher gravity beer I reduce my efficiency in the recipe, but it is a bit of a guess unless you regularly brew high gravity beers. Not sure what efficiency percentage Brewdog use in this recipe, but whatever it is, I don't think that you can do a straight 20L to 65L conversion without knowing the difference in efficiencies between the Brewdog recipe and your system.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:32 am

Kev888 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 pm
Just don't think of software as an alternative to learning.
Excellent advice and while you are doing that get a copy of BS to help you until you learn. :wink:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:32 pm

alexlark wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:20 pm
You can use the full version of Beersmith free for 30 days.

Take lots of measurements when you have a brew day so that you can tweak Beersmith and get accurate recipes & hit your numbers. Took me about 3 brews to dial it in and produce accurate results.
I’ve looked at this and it says the basic subscription only gives you 15 recipes. I take it that doesn’t mean you can only use it for 15 brews, especially as it’s a lifetime subscription.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Paddington wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:32 pm
alexlark wrote:

Take lots of measurements when you have a brew day so that you can tweak Beersmith and get accurate recipes & hit your numbers. Took me about 3 brews to dial it in and produce accurate results.
I’ve looked at this and it says the basic subscription only gives you 15 recipes. I take it that doesn’t mean you can only use it for 15 brews, especially as it’s a lifetime subscription.

No, it just means if you want to store your recipes on his Cloud storage. 15 for free then you have to subscribe. I have over 150 recipes on my local drive. I only use the Cloud storage for any current or recent brews. It's a really good tool and the only one out there that is regularly updated and innovative, recently for example it has recognised that you DO get some bittering from Whirlpooling hops. =D>
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 pm

orlando wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm
Paddington wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:32 pm
alexlark wrote:

No, it just means if you want to store your recipes on his Cloud storage. 15 for free then you have to subscribe. I have over 150 recipes on my local drive. I only use the Cloud storage for any current or recent brews. It's a really good tool and the only one out there that is regularly updated and innovative, recently for example it has recognised that you DO get some bittering from Whirlpooling hops. =D>
Great, thanks, I didn’t think that could be right. I’d better get it then.

Fat boy quiff

Post by Fat boy quiff » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Just to bring you all up to date with what I eventually did with my recipe. After reading all of the posts I decided to take the plunge and try one of the software free trials (Brewers friend). I was surprised at how simple it was, even for a none computer whiz kid like me. I was also inspired to visit my water supply company and get the water readings from them to add to the software. I put in my plant statistics and plant efficiency estimate based on the advice given here i.e. lowish estimate (67%) for this particular recipe. I must say that I was impressed with the targets I hit for the first attempt and can already appreciate the control you have over the brewing. The beer is currently sat in the FV and has been crashed cooled for around four days. Tomorrow it will be racked off into a conical tank to sit for a few days before being corni kegged/bottled. I have tasted the beer after taking a FG sample and I am impressed so far, it should make an excellent beer. Thanks all for your input and for inspiring me to have a go with the software, I'm pretty sure I will be investing in one in the near future.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 pm

If you have a smart phone, have a look into Beersmith 2 app (the full one is the version I have). Nice database of recipes, good recipe builder AND because it's on your phone you can use it as a brew day timer and alarm. You can't so easily do that with desktop software, unless you want to risk a laptop around your brewing....