European pre lager beer recipes.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Paddington
Piss Artist

European pre lager beer recipes.

Post by Paddington » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:04 pm

I’m trying to find old European beer recipes before lager became ubiquitous. I’m fine with France, Germany and Belgium, but still looking for any Spanish, Italian or Scandinavian recipes. Has anyone got any links or book recommendations?

Hanglow
Under the Table

Re: European pre lager beer recipes.

Post by Hanglow » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:32 am

There's lots of farmhouse brewing that has gone on for ages in the likes of Norway and the baltic states. This blog is good for that

http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/

eg - http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/359.html

Hope that helps a bit

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:40 pm

Paddington wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:04 pm
I’m trying to find old European beer recipes before lager became ubiquitous. I’m fine with France, Germany and Belgium, but still looking for any Spanish, Italian or Scandinavian recipes. Has anyone got any links or book recommendations?
Not quite sure what you mean by "ubiquitous lager". I presume you mean pale "Eurofizz". I suggest that you have a look at Graham Wheeler's book BREW CLASSIC EUROPEAN BEERS AT HOME. There's plenty in it. Light,Dark, Esoteric,
Top and Bottom fermented. The first thing you will notice is that to be a lager has very little to do with its colour. Most drinkers would not know the difference between a top fermented Kolsch and a bottom fermented pale " Lager"
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:57 pm

I’ll give that a try. By ubiquitous, I mean that lager is the standard beer in countries like Spain and Italy but I doubt it is traditional to either of them. Lager, good, bad or indifferent has become the ubiquitous beer of most of the world. Ubiquitous is a statement of fact not of judgement. Air is ubiquitous and it’s my favourite thing to breathe.

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Laripu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:01 pm

This gives quite a bit of chemical information for beers recovered from an 1840 shipwreck.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf ... /jf5052943

If you look at the section titled "Physicochemical Analysis" and extrapolate from their guess (due to sodium levels) that the beer was 30% diluted with sea-water, it looks like they found one beer that was around 5% abv and probably around 25 IBU, also given the breakdown of hop compounds over time. The other was probably around 20 IBU.

Pretty standard commercial beer for middle of the road tastes.

They did seem to find more unfermented sugars, so the beer might have been sweet.
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Laripu wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:01 pm
This gives quite a bit of chemical information for beers recovered from an 1840 shipwreck.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf ... /jf5052943

If you look at the section titled "Physicochemical Analysis" and extrapolate from their guess (due to sodium levels) that the beer was 30% diluted with sea-water, it looks like they found one beer that was around 5% abv and probably around 25 IBU, also given the breakdown of hop compounds over time. The other was probably around 20 IBU.

Pretty standard commercial beer for middle of the road tastes.

They did seem to find more unfermented sugars, so the beer might have been sweet.
Thanks, that looks interesting, I'll sit down with it tonight. Just looking at the graph, lager and porter seem to share more similarities than I'd expect, but as I haven't got a clue what they are that might be less surprising than it seems.