English yeasts for American pales and IPAs

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Onthebrew

Re: English yeasts for American pales and IPAs

Post by Onthebrew » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Sadfield wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 pm
Onthebrew wrote:McMillan - don’t do starters anymore, never have dme around, never organised enough time wise and have had issues. I’d rather just pitch two, or reuse some slurry if available.

Sadfield, interesting is that your go to for American pales?
In a way, yes. I original got it to do a Shilling Ale for a Ron Pattinson event, and it inadvertently became a bit of a house yeast. I've used it on alsorts; American IPA, DIPAs, Stouts, Hoppy English Ales. I was inspired to play around with it, having this article from James Kemp (Ex Fullers, Thornbridge, Buxton, Marble), and how you can still brew hoppy beers without using US05.

http://www.port66.co.uk/yeast-brewing-m ... se-strain/
that was a good read, so fullers is popular state side and thats wlp002. interesting the author has no way to get some thornbridge yeast- surely he still has contacts there?

Rubbery
Piss Artist

Post by Rubbery » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:00 pm

I use wyeast 1469 west yorkshire ale for all my hoppy pale ales. Attenuation is high, so you get a nice dry beer to show off the hops. I brew at 17.5C (ambient temp) which keeps esters low. flocculation is a bit poor, so it takes a few weeks to clear.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:48 pm

Onthebrew wrote:that was a good read, so fullers is popular state side and thats wlp002. interesting the author has no way to get some thornbridge yeast- surely he still has contacts there?
Probably not an issue of contacts, however it may be are case of the brewery being protective of their strain. It is probably more than coincidence, that the two breweries he mentions of wanting to try yeast from, but has no source (Thornbridge and Oakham), are both breweries that filter or centrifuge heavily, and don't appear to offer bottle conditioned beers in their range.

Last edited by Sadfield on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Aaron wrote:What is wlp028 like for you in terms of reliability? I had it stall out in one of my scotch beers but then I didn't oxygenate before pitching.
I've not had any issues. One thing I'd note with it is that even with high attenuation, it leaves a perceptible sweetness in the beer, compared to other yeasts.
Last edited by Sadfield on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:50 am

Just bottled a cloudy hop bomb with third generation 007 again yesterday. Boy, I do love that stuff. The first two generations had gone into English ales, which it left with a lovely balanced, but well attenuated, round character. The first brew was a duplicate of a recent brew that had been fermented with Nottingham. The Nottingham batch had a tart, rough finish; the 007 smooth and round. Then this third generation hoppy number which is all clean and juicy... It just seems to know what it's being asked to do, and which beer it's in! Floccs very well too.

Can't fault it, but I read great reports of London Ale III and would be interested to try Sadfield's 028 tooat some point, just out of interest.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Rubbery wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:00 pm
I use wyeast 1469 west yorkshire ale for all my hoppy pale ales. Attenuation is high, so you get a nice dry beer to show off the hops. I brew at 17.5C (ambient temp) which keeps esters low. flocculation is a bit poor, so it takes a few weeks to clear.
Good to know, so that is still option, and I have it sitting there.