English yeasts for American pales and IPAs

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Onthebrew

English yeasts for American pales and IPAs

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:48 am

Has anyone been brewing American ales with English yeasts and if so which ones have they found to work best. It seems many of the American craft breweries use English yeasts now so I am interested to find out more.

I have some wyeast West yorks ale that I want to harvest from an English pale ale and want to reuse it in an American ipa. If it’s not recommended I will use it for an esb.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: English yeasts for American pales and IPAs

Post by MTW » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Yes! WLP007 at the cool end (17C). Really good.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:37 pm

do you like the yeast flavours and performance from the west yorks and do you think they'd work well in an american beer? can't see why it wouldn't be recommended. depends what profile you're looking for. that's gonna be a little brewer specific too
dazzled, doused in gin..

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 pm

I will see how the west yorks comes out- first time ive used it. i guess i am looking for one that is going to sit well with all those american hops. may play safe and get some WLP007 or wyeast equivilent

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:15 pm

there does seem to be a bit of a weird myth about using clean/neutral yeasts with american ipas. sure sometimes you might want that effect, but at the end of the day one hop is not that different to another hop and we've been using english yeasts with heavily hopped beers for centuries. guess my point is that i'd find it harder to come up with a yeast i wouldn't wanna use than one i would :D
dazzled, doused in gin..

chrisbjones202
Steady Drinker

Post by chrisbjones202 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 pm

Ive got a centennial/Cascade APA on tap made with 007 on the advice of MM. Turned out really good. I'm wipping up another starter for whatever I decide to do the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 am

Onthebrew wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 pm
I will see how the west yorks comes out- first time ive used it. i guess i am looking for one that is going to sit well with all those american hops. may play safe and get some WLP007 or wyeast equivilent
I'm sure I've read reports of wy1098 being a bit different to wlp007. More estery if I recall correctly, and a case of the 'equivalents' not being as close as you'd hope. I haven't used the 1098 to comment.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:23 pm

Ok, i normally stick to wyeast as i like the smack packs- do you need to make a starter with white labs for a 1050 OG brew or can you just pitch it, the same as the smack packs?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:17 pm

Always make a starter, unless it's a few days past production date.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:27 pm

WY1728/WLP028 Scottish (Edinburgh) Ale Yeast. Lovely full malty body and has zero negative influence on hop character.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:08 pm

McMillan - don’t do starters anymore, never have dme around, never organised enough time wise and have had issues. I’d rather just pitch two, or reuse some slurry if available.

Sadfield, interesting is that your go to for American pales?

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:36 pm

Sadfield wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:27 pm
WY1728/WLP028 Scottish (Edinburgh) Ale Yeast. Lovely full malty body and has zero negative influence on hop character.
I hate how so many American IPAs have little malt character to balance the hops.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:10 pm

Think I am going to go with the 007 on James Morton’s disproportionally hopped session pale ale and then use the slurry for his much stronger undead pale ale. He mentions that yeast himself.

The west yorks slurry can go into a long planned spitfire clone if I can fit it in. ( have the tropical pale all ready and planned for this weekend so they are queuing up!)

Cheers for all the advice.

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 pm

Onthebrew wrote:McMillan - don’t do starters anymore, never have dme around, never organised enough time wise and have had issues. I’d rather just pitch two, or reuse some slurry if available.

In a way, yes. I original got it to do a Shilling Ale for a Ron Pattinson event, and it inadvertently became a bit of a house yeast. I've used it on alsorts; American IPA, DIPAs, Stouts, Hoppy English Ales. I was inspired to play around with it, having this article from James Kemp (Ex Fullers, Thornbridge, Buxton, Marble), and how you can still brew hoppy beers without using US05.

http://www.port66.co.uk/yeast-brewing-m ... se-strain/

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Sadfield wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:50 pm
Onthebrew wrote:McMillan - don’t do starters anymore, never have dme around, never organised enough time wise and have had issues. I’d rather just pitch two, or reuse some slurry if available.

In a way, yes. I original got it to do a Shilling Ale for a Ron Pattinson event, and it inadvertently became a bit of a house yeast. I've used it on alsorts; American IPA, DIPAs, Stouts, Hoppy English Ales. I was inspired to play around with it, having this article from James Kemp (Ex Fullers, Thornbridge, Buxton, Marble), and how you can still brew hoppy beers without using US05.

http://www.port66.co.uk/yeast-brewing-m ... se-strain/
What is wlp028 like for you in terms of reliability? I had it stall out in one of my scotch beers but then I didn't oxygenate before pitching.