Mash pH woes and questions

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
timtoos
Piss Artist

Re: Mash pH woes and questions

Post by timtoos » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:31 am

Even for a dark beer?
I struggle knowing water profiles for beer types. The profile I selected was bru’n Waters black balanced profile.
If I increase the Ca value then the water ions become unbalanced.
I’m confused with all the water stuff and knowing what profile is required for each beer type...

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Mash pH woes and questions

Post by Eric » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:04 pm

timtoos wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:31 am
Even for a dark beer?
I struggle knowing water profiles for beer types. The profile I selected was bru’n Waters black balanced profile.
If I increase the Ca value then the water ions become unbalanced.
I’m confused with all the water stuff and knowing what profile is required for each beer type...
Adding more salts will not make the water imbalanced, the salt itself must be balanced else it could not exist.

Your posting is typical of many comments found on American forums from those attempting to replicate British styles to go round in circles.

Did you compare the profile you chose with that suggested in Graham's calculator? I'm not saying it's what you should be using or that it is the best, Graham had always wanted to make radical changes. Just if you look at his profiles, you'd might be less puzzled.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.