Split batch recipe advice

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Paddington
Piss Artist

Split batch recipe advice

Post by Paddington » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm intending to split a 20l brew and pitch a US yeast into one bucket and UK into the other, basically to help me in understanding the difference it makes. I'm not sure yet what yeasts I will go with, I normally use liquid, but I may go with Safale 4 and 5 just for uniformity of cell count between the two batches so it is a good like for like test.

So my actual question is, given that I don't want to be left with 20 litres of rubbish beer just to educate my taste buds, does anyone have a suggestion for a recipe which will taste good with either yeast whilst being simple enough to highlight the difference between them.

Thanks.

Paddington
Piss Artist

Re: Split batch recipe advice

Post by Paddington » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:09 pm

FWIW, given my limited expertise, as it seems more common to use a UK yeast in a US beer than vice versa, I was thinking of using Maris Otter with a small amount of crystal to reach an OG of around 5% and a moderate amount of US hops so as not to mask everything else.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Maybe do an american pale ale, maybe try english 002 or 007, and compare to californian ale. I think as you specifically want to test yeast then going liquid will give you the most insight.

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm

if using us05 vs an english ale yeast i'd go for a porter. clean yeasts just make dull ale without a bucket of hops (even with them to be honest :lol:), in my opinion. though to be honest i'd suggest a comparism of two english ale yeasts - maybe 007 and 005 or 023 - would be more revealing
dazzled, doused in gin..

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:24 pm

The only thing I can say, I've been amazed at the difference a yeast brings to the party..( I'd wished I had used just the better tasting beers yeast) I'd say choose your brew and then choose your yeasts. But read a bout the yeast profile

As jaroporter says clean yeast can be boring in a less than hoppy beer, also on another note fermenting temps play a part too.

Some of the brewing of beers I've done, is to go with a brew I've done before and liked, then used a Belgium yeast in the other half.. IE,,, if you look at brew dogs PDF they do that...
Just a thought...

Cheers
To Busy To Add,