Fermenting a fruit wheat beer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Fermenting a fruit wheat beer

Post by Manngold » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi all,

Brewing a standard wheat beer and planning to add fruit (either Cherry, Raspberry or Strawberry) after fermentation but need some pointers on Yeast and fermentation temperatures.

Should I pitch Crossmyloof Krystalweisen Yeast? If so I don't think I really want cloves so shall I aim for a warmer fermentation?

Or should I pitch an American Pale Yeast?

Thanks all

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Re: Fermenting a fruit wheat beer

Post by dbambrick996 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:57 pm

If you don’t want cloves or banana etc go with us05 yeast or some other neutral yeast and ferment at 19 degrees.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm

I used the CML yeast, fermented at about 23-24 degrees C. Banana esters kicked in after about 2 weeks in the bottle. Be aware though, after a while in bottles the beer has become completely clear (I believe it's supposed to for kristallweisen though), so if you are looking for a cloudy wheat beer it might not be the right yeast.

My wife won't drink it now as she can't stand the banana flavour. lol So yeah, if you want a neutral flavour use an ale yeast.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks guys. In the end I had to pitch before I could read your replies. I pitched the CML Krystalweisen yeast. Sat at around 20c, my god, the banana smell coming from it is very powerful. I am now considering whether or not it is worth adding the fruit if the banana will be so powerful.

Wolfenrook, when you brewed using the yeast do you think a red berry fruit, such as raspberry would have complemented the banana flavour you got? I am thinking of dumping 2.5kg of raspberries on top of it. I am also partly considering something like mango, the ethnic food isle in my local Sainsbury' has mango pulp relatively cheap (94% mango, 6% additional sugar per tin).

Thanks

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Update. Still got some banana smells coming from the Fv, but this has died down considerably since day 2.

Last night added 2kg of Frozen Summer Fruit mix (contained a good mix of red berries). It was supposed to be all raspberry, but some of my shopping was substituted so using this instead. This is the first time I have ever used fruit.

From what I understand, the fruit should increase the Abv somewhat. Does anyone have any idea how much. I have some of the Polish raspberry syrup in the cupboard, should I add this as Well?

Thanks - happy brewing!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 pm

I looked back at my notes for when I last did one (5 years ago :shock: ). I didn't add the raspberries until the fermentation was over and it looks like it went down a further 2 degrees.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer