Mexican lager yeast?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Mexican lager yeast?

Post by mrboxpiff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi Brewers
Shortly going to do my second Mexican lager. Used WLP940 last time but wondering if anyone has an alternative they can suggest, preferably dried?
Thanks in advance
Mrboxpiff

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

McMullan

Re: Mexican lager yeast?

Post by McMullan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 am

What was wrong with WLP940? It looks like the only available option.

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Mangrove Jacks M054 - California Lager or Fermentis S189 - Swiss Lager both ferment clean lagers at higher temps, great for making megabrew type lagers with or without high adjunct additions.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:13 pm

super_simian wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 pm
Mangrove Jacks M054 - California Lager or Fermentis S189 - Swiss Lager both ferment clean lagers at higher temps, great for making megabrew type lagers with or without high adjunct additions.
Are these dried yeast known for fermenting Mexican Lagers?

http://draftmag.com/mexican-style-lager/

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:17 am

McMullan wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:13 pm
super_simian wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 pm
Are these dried yeast known for fermenting Mexican Lagers?

http://draftmag.com/mexican-style-lager/
That article really doesn't define "Mexican Lager" as a style (although the headline purports to) but it seems like a clean macro lager, with a potential for high adjunct loads and a clean fermentation profile (minimal sulphur or esters). Both of the dried yeasts I listed fit the bill in that sense.

I've certainly drunk a Corona clone with S189 that was spot on. Not enjoyable, but on the money style wise. And a Negra Modelo clone which was much nicer, using the MJ yeast.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:43 am

I wouldn't know, TBH. I'm not a big fan of lager. If I brew xbeer, though, I always try to use xyeast. And Mexico has a long history in brewing, so I'd assume any available authentic yeast strain imparts some genuine character.

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Last time I looked into this, everything I read said that both north and central American brewers used Bavarian yeasts. The clone recipe I have for Dos Equis for example (a better example of a Mexican lager...) suggests using either Wyeast Bohemian lager yeast, or Wyeast Bavarian lager yeast.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:03 pm

The majority of American ale strains were British ale strains originally. They diverged over time, as yeast do, in different breweries, even within the same region. It sounds to me that there is a Mexican lager strain. Why not use it, if a Mexican lager is what's desired?

super_simian
Piss Artist

Post by super_simian » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 pm

McMullan wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:03 pm
The majority of American ale strains were British ale strains originally. They diverged over time, as yeast do, in different breweries, even within the same region. It sounds to me that there is a Mexican lager strain. Why not use it, if a Mexican lager is what's desired?
Why not? Well, there's no real unique character to Mexican lager, so why make things difficult for yourself?

Furthermore, the OP was asking for a widely available alternative, preferably a dried strain. Which I offered. You, on the other hand, have offered sweet FA in terms of useful advice. So EADC and be quiet, unless you have something constructive to contribute :)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:42 pm

=D> :lol:

McMullan walks into a pub. A bloke says, "I want to make a Mexican style lager, are there any alternatives to WLP940?" McMullan says, "No, none that I'm aware of." Another bloke, in the corner, says "McMullan, be quiet, unless you have something constructive to contribute". Fecking classic that :lol:

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Ample time for some 'Mexican' character to develop in something as changeable as yeast. I'm willing to bet any liquid Mexican lager strain would p*ss all over any dry strain reported to be an alternative for a Mexican, or any other, beer :lol:

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm

I was kinda trying to make a similar point, that the only "mexican lager" yeast advertised as such is a liquid, but that most would have started out at least been made with either German or Czechoslovakian yeasts. So if you really want a dried yeast, use one of these styles. The one I see folks recommending seems to be Saflager W034/70. Or if it absolutely must say "Mexican lager yeast" on it, you're stuck with WLP940, which word is is the Corona strain.

There seems to be another liquid strain, but doesn't seem to be a UK available one, and it's still liquid.

You have a choice, total compromise or no compromise at all.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:18 pm

I find it quite insulting that a brewer's yeast is processed like it were a baker's yeast (dried) then offered as an equal alternative, let alone a better option, to a fresh brewer's culture, which are now widely available to home brewers. If it were simply about the convenience of fermenting some cheap alcohol, I'd happily use baker's yeast from the supermarket. That's all it boils down to.

mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Post by mrboxpiff » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:38 pm

One problem with WP940 is that its not available at my chosen supplier. Last time it came from BrewUk. That's why I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a more widely available alternative.
Thank you all who have contributed to this thread. Still not sure what to go for though

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:12 pm

McMullan wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:18 pm
I find it quite insulting that a brewer's yeast is processed like it were a baker's yeast (dried) then offered as an equal alternative, let alone a better option, to a fresh brewer's culture, which are now widely available to home brewers. If it were simply about the convenience of fermenting some cheap alcohol, I'd happily use baker's yeast from the supermarket. That's all it boils down to.
I am quite sure that bakers probably said the same thing at one time... Then they got over themselves.