Oatmeal Milk Stout - High Final Gravity??

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Avocado232

Oatmeal Milk Stout - High Final Gravity??

Post by Avocado232 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Hi guys.

I currently have an oatmeal milk stout brewing away in my cupboard and I'm wondering weather I have a stuck fermentation. The original gravity came out at 1.074 and my first reading on day 7 was around 1.040. I was expecting around 1.025, so after a gentle stir to perhaps wake up the yeast, I took another reading on day 10. This came out at around 1.036. Still a lot higher than I was expecting and I am planning on racking to secondary before bottling.

Recipe (12 Litres):

2.6 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale
375 g Rolled Oats
225 g Lactose (Milk Sugar)
187 g American - Caramel / Crystal 60L
187 g United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate
150 g German - Carafa III
38 g United Kingdom - Black Patent

Yeast - Safale S04 (hydrated)

Could 1.036 be the final gravity and would it be safe to bottle after a week in the secondary? Any tips would much appreciated

Thanks in advance!

johnmac
Under the Table

Re: Oatmeal Milk Stout - High Final Gravity??

Post by johnmac » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:09 pm

I'm inclined to think your fermentation is properly complete.

Incidentally, I've used lactose in the past to make milk stout, I've found it becomes over carbonated after a few months in the bottle. It seems the lactose is not so much unfermentable as just slowly fermentable. Have you found the same?

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:01 pm

You have a lot of unfermentables, adjuncts and non-diastatic malts so it may be that it has finished.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

dinsd-ale

Post by dinsd-ale » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:56 am

The lactose is unfermentable and will give a false reading. I didn't realise this when I brewed one recently but was told this by a brewer at Dark Star.
My Milk Stout started at 1.072 and finished at 1.034. I bottled it and all was fine and it was a great beer.