Fermentation fridge questions

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Fermentation fridge questions

Post by Redimpz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi. sorry if this is the wrong place for this question but I thought that it would be seen by more people.
I have a Hotpoint fridge that I am thinking of using as a controlled temp fermenting fridge. I have a few questions.

1, I believe that I will need to drill a hole in the top of the fridge to pass the wires through. As far as I know there isn't anything in the top that I need to be careful of. Am I correct? or am I liable to bust something?

2, Which is the best controller to get? I am planning on a plug and play system.

3, which is the favoured heater? tube heater or brewing belt?

Thanks in advance.

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Re: Fermentation fridge questions

Post by Redimpz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Ok, I just had a minor revelation and checked out youtube. the BigBanana on there makes it look real easy. the parts are ordered. Thanks for reading, no replies are needed.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Probably better in the Brewing Equipment section - loads of info' in there and where I got my 'instructions from'. In answer:

1 I used the drain channel which was big enough for the heater and controller cable and also sufficient to serve it's purpose

2 Several options - I've got an STC1000

3 Tube heater although if making a new (timber) shelf - assuming the existing is glass, make sure you drill loads of holes in it to allow the heat to get to the fermenter.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Redimpz,

1. I drilled on the side that the door hinges are located. I was informed that there would be a good chance that there would be no wires in ths place. Alternatively, google the model you have and see if you can find anything regarding the unit.

2. I use an inkbird. Really simple and dead easy. Took me five minutes to set up.

3. I purchased a small tube heater, works well for me.

It is suggested you also get a small fan (I got mine from the IT dept at work from a computer and wired it to the tube heater) to help circulate the heating and cooling.

Hope this helps.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Manngold wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:37 pm

It is suggested you also get a small fan (I got mine from the IT dept at work from a computer and wired it to the tube heater) to help circulate the heating and cooling.

Hope this helps.
Nice one Manngold - never thought of that!

nigelnorris
Tippler

Post by nigelnorris » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 am

I've never bothered with a fridge heater. I only use the fridge for lager and any warm temp fermenting I do I just leave the bucket on countertop with a belt on it. Means I can do two brews at once without needing a second heater.

Aub
Tippler

Post by Aub » Mon May 21, 2018 12:39 am

I just threaded mine between the door seal and fridge and it works fine.