Should a fruit beer sour?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Should a fruit beer sour?

Post by Manngold » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi all.

Made a simple wheat beer three weeks ago. I used Krystalweisen yeast. Two weeks ago I added 2kg of frozen summer fruits which has a mix of A mix of Blackberries, Raspberries, Blackcurrants and Redcurrants.

It tastes sharp/sour. Should it/could it be a by product of the fruit?

Thanks

McMullan

Re: Should a fruit beer sour?

Post by McMullan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:05 pm

At this stage I'd guess it was the fruit rather than microbial guests on the fruit. I'm guessing raspberries. Did you taste or check the pH of the beer before adding the fruit? What volume of beer?

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:11 pm

I didn’t do either of the things you suggest. It isn’t an unpleasant taste, just a bit sharp/sour. But more sour than anything else.

I didn’t know if it was a possible side effect of the fruit. I think what I am trying to ask is, could the fruit do that? Or could it be an infection of a different kind. Not sure whether to bottle or not.

Thanks

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:19 pm

My guess is it's the fruit. Did you taste the fruit [edit: before adding it to the beer]? Leave it where it is, secondary?

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Wow, quick reply. To be honest I didn’t. I just chucked it in when I had a free bit of time. After an hour it seems to be less prominent and I am getting different flavours. Maybe I was too hasty...

I will give it another hour or so.

Thanks Mcmullan

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 pm

If the sourness is from the fruit (which it probably is), then it will eventually condition out given enough time. Had the same thing with a raspberry melomel I made, it was super dry to begin with, then after many months maturing and conditioning it transitioned to quite sweet and fruity tasting.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks guys.

Do I need to do anything special with the fv when cleaning it. I guess it isn’t an infection as it wasn’t reeking or anything else.

Thanks