Brewing Software Recommendations

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brewing Software Recommendations

Post by FUBAR » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 pm

a-slayer wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:32 pm
Graham's Beer engine will do all that you need, free and simple. Available from a link from JBK.
I use it to create and store my recipes.
Same here Ive tried BS and didn't like it ,find beer engine quick,easy and accurate to use.I like the KISS style.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:53 pm

I will admit, having downloaded the desktop version of Beersmith 2, the interface is cluttered and confused to say the least. I use the android app though, which has a much cleaner interface, less filled with un-needed flash (I mean, what's with the graphing?). The only con (if you can call it that) that I can see with the app version is that it doesn't have the water treatment tool in it, oh and having to use a touch screen rather than keyboard and mouse. Having used the app first though I was able to get to grips with the desktop version in around 40 seconds, even connecting the app and desktop version to the Beersmith 2 cloud in order to transfer recipes backwards and forwards between the 2.

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:35 pm

FUBAR wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:11 pm
a-slayer wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:32 pm
Graham's Beer engine will do all that you need, free and simple. Available from a link from JBK.
I use it to create and store my recipes.
Same here Ive tried BS and didn't like it ,find beer engine quick,easy and accurate to use.I like the KISS style.
I tried BS also, to much going on making it cluttered and complicated. Soon went back to the Beer Engine.

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:49 pm

We I like BS2. Probably one of the best, yet modest, investments I have made in home brewing. You have to work with it to get your equipment profiles right, but I use it for my BM and 3V and have never regretted buying it.

nigelnorris
Tippler

Post by nigelnorris » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:50 am

I tried Beersmith but found the interface to be a bit daunting. Brewer's Friend is a bit more accessible, and free.

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Sat May 26, 2018 7:43 pm

After trying Brewer’s Friend, I decided to give Beersmith a go but it seems to be short on ingredients. I couldn’t find Worcester Golding hops or 150L crystal malt, neither of which seem too unusual.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat May 26, 2018 10:39 pm

It's American. You have the option to add any ingredient so I suggest you do that.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Sat May 26, 2018 11:27 pm

orlando wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:39 pm
It's American. You have the option to add any ingredient so I suggest you do that.
But then wouldn’t I need to research and add in the stats like diastatic power that make the whole thing work?

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 pm

Check the addons, nearly all UK malts can be added through them, same with most hops.

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Sat May 26, 2018 11:33 pm

wolfenrook wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 pm
Check the addons, nearly all UK malts can be added through them, same with most hops.
Ah... that sounds better. Thanks.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun May 27, 2018 7:45 am

You may still have to check if you want to be that exact but for the most part the info is close. EBC for example varies a little between maltsters, but who really cares about colour that much unless they are cloning and even then a variation of 5 or so on the overall colour is indistinguishable.

Same applies to hop IBU's going to vary with harvest, so again you have to adjust but again a few IBU's one way or the other is undetectable.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

wolfenrook
Piss Artist

Post by wolfenrook » Sun May 27, 2018 11:07 am

Yeah, for hops I check the AA% and adjust it for the recipe if I need to (which I usually do), but it makes things much much easier for the grain. There's also sometimes the occasional hop missing (the last hop update seemed to add the main ones I found missing though, like Jester, Endeavour and Mosaic) that you have to add yourself, but it's very easy to do via the ingredients section.

I now have both the desktop and android versions, and find it excellent. I can build and adjust recipes on my desktop, then once done save them to my cloud account to download on the android app for the timer on brew day. The desktop app looks more complicated than it actually is to be honest, you can safely ignore things like the graphs etc if you want to. I love how you can organise your recipes into folders too, for example I have a folder for recipes I've made myself, another for ones from books and the web etc. But you could also organise them by style, or ABV or whatever.

ben034
Steady Drinker

Post by ben034 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 am

I hear Beersmith 3 will be out shortly - http://beersmith.com/blog/2018/06/01/be ... irst-look/

Sounds interesting and some worthwhile reasons for an upgrade.

bigchris
Piss Artist

Post by bigchris » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:19 pm

I'm another fan of Graham's Beer Engine, does all I need it to do. I've had to add in some Hops and Malt profiles using the editor. My PC runs Linux rather than Windows but beer engine doesn't seem bothered by this, installed and ran just fine.

soupdragon
Under the Table

Post by soupdragon » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:31 am

Another vote for beer engine here. Used it since I started brewing again, don't see the need to change

Cheers. Tom