Are there any issues with a slow ferment?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Are there any issues with a slow ferment?

Post by mrboxpiff » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:06 pm

My fermenter (30litres) is in my brew fridges which is located in my detached garage. I've even put insulation around it as well. However, due to the exceptionally cold weather, the small tube heater located a few inches beneath it is not able to take the temperature much above 16 or 17°C (aiming for 20°).
There is still a little movement with the airlock, but will the brew be OK fermenting so slowly?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Are there any issues with a slow ferment?

Post by keith1664 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:52 pm

Depends on the yeast really, some will be quite happy at that temperature. However it'll take longer and taste cleaner.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

bottles
Steady Drinker

Post by bottles » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 pm

I would guess it shouldn't make much difference depending on the yeast. Do you have any idea of what temp it goes down to overnight? As it might be dropping another 5 degrees in the depths of night. This could stress the yeast and cause issues.
Would putting hot water bottles in the fridge before going to bed help?
Andrew

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:50 am

As already said, it will depend on the yeast strain. What yeast did you use for this? If it was a proper strain, the manufacturer's website will likely list the best temperature range for it.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

KevH
Steady Drinker

Post by KevH » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:50 pm

You're best off filling the fridge with bottles of water; reduce the amount of 'air' in the fridge by filling the fridge. Do that and it'll help the fridge maintain its warmer temperature (if you can get it higher - try putting warm water in)

Also, and I know it's easy to say retrospectively, but for future winters, best to brew lagers - I have a fermentation fridge in the garage and couldn't get up to 22° last month during a couple of cold days (managed 21.5 so not too worried); Doing a lager this month and fridge is comfortably at 12°.
BIAB, working through Greg Hughes (GH) recipes to begin with.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Fermenting: nothing.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drinking: nowt.
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:36 pm

mrboxpiff, what size is the heater your using? I use a 12" heater in a upright fridge and that seems OK. I tend to ferment around 19c for ales.

mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Post by mrboxpiff » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks all for your helpful comments. The yeast is Mango Jacks M44. The tube heater is indeed about 12 inches. The fridge is a tall one, but I put insulation across the shelf above so I wasn't loosing all the heat up the top.
You are absolutely right about choice of beer to brew, in act the next one will indeed be a lager specifically to take advantage of the cool (cold) weather.

keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by keith1664 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 am

mrboxpiff wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:26 pm
Thanks all for your helpful comments. The yeast is Mango Jacks M44. The tube heater is indeed about 12 inches. The fridge is a tall one, but I put insulation across the shelf above so I wasn't loosing all the heat up the top.
You are absolutely right about choice of beer to brew, in act the next one will indeed be a lager specifically to take advantage of the cool (cold) weather.Image

I have 2 tall fridges I use to ferment 40L batches in, 1 copes well this time of year, the other needed a second heater.
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.