How long do you keep your grain

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Fastline
Hollow Legs

How long do you keep your grain

Post by Fastline » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:43 pm

I have got lots of grain from malt Miller but sadly not had time to use barely any, most is well over a year out of date.
I'm thinking this will probably have gone stale or off by now
All was stored in there bags and plastic sealed boxes

I'm thinking of chucking the lot out and starting with fresh again now I have a grain father

I would like to brew an esb or bitter maybe then a porter or stout over the next few months
I like having some grains in stock so I can brew as the time and mood takes me

Where is everyone getting there ingredients these days, I used the malt Miller in the past

What grains do you guys keep in stock if any.
Would any of you use the out of date grain

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: How long do you keep your grain

Post by orlando » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:51 pm

I keep 25k of crushed MO in a proper storage bin with a clamped and sealed lid, usually lasts 4 months before being used. All other grains are kept in Tupperware style sealed plastic boxes. MO direct from Munton's everything else MM. I would use up the OOD grains, not much to lose and if you have stored them as you say they are probably still OK. A sniff will tell you most of what you need to know.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:18 pm

I've used crushed grain that was 10 months old, 2 days ago , volumes and efficiency was about right , I'll let you know what it tastes like in 6+ weeks

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Fastline, I have just used up some 9 month old crushed grain (last Tuesday). Efficiency was slightly down but I was advised that if it is dry and tastes ok it is good to go.

Anyway, I think you are near me (I am in Bromley) so don't bin it ;) !!!

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:59 am

I had a 25kg bag of maris otter (crushed) that was stored in the bag it came and then put inside a plastic dustbin with a clip on lid. I slowly worked my way through the grain with the last of the grain used over 12 months later. Beer came out ok. The grain smelled like it did when i bought it and it was stored in a cool dry place.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:26 am

Do a mini mash in the kitchen. Check gravity, taste, etc. Should be fine. As long as the moisture level has remained low, there won't be much going on, biologically.