Adding coffee to a porter

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Intothevoid
Tippler

Adding coffee to a porter

Post by Intothevoid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello beer patriots

Im planning on adding 200g cold steeped coffee beans to my 15 litre batch porter bottling day tomorrow or Saturday morning
The plan is to slightly crush the beans and add them to bottled water thats been boiled and cooled and leave them to steep for a day or so

Would there be any need to boil the coffee extracted liquid before bottling to ward off any nasties or would this be pointless if good sanitation was carried out?

Cheers

richard080561
Piss Artist

Re: Adding coffee to a porter

Post by richard080561 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:00 pm

I recently made a coffee Porter with 100g of ground beans steeped in 1 litre of cold water for 24 hours. I added it to the fermenter a couple of days before bottling. I didn't boil the water before making the coffee and I didn't boil the coffee after, there were no ill effects from doing it like this, however 100g of coffee in 23 liters of beer was probably too much so your 200g in 15 litre might way over the top.
Richard M
Cardiff

nigelnorris
Tippler

Post by nigelnorris » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 am

I made a coffee stout a while ago but did it by just pouring freshly made espressos into the FV. What's the advantage of cold steeping?

KevH
Steady Drinker

Post by KevH » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:37 am

I've made a couple of coffee stouts the last few years. I've always just brew a large cafetiar (spelling?!?) of freshly brewed strong coffee and pour in the fermenter before adding the yeast. I've found 2 cafetiars too much, and one just right (for me).
BIAB, working through Greg Hughes (GH) recipes to begin with.

Planning: Patersbier (extract version), Russian Imperial Stout. Turbo cider, IPA, Limoncello.
Fermenting: nothing.
Conditioning: GH American ipa (6.3%), GH Summer ale (3.8%), GH Oktoberfest (6.8%), Japanese Lager AG (4.9%)
Drinking: nowt.
Drunk: GH Czech Pilsner (6.4%); GH Winter Warmer (4.9%); GH Christmas Ale (5.25%), Coopers Wheat beer kit (4.7%)

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:36 am

Shouldn't be a problem, you have low pH, alcohol and hops helping out. Cold steeping I presume is to cut back on potential bitterness of a "brewed" coffee? I would say less is more and find you can achieve coffee flavour from just using malt but have a go.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi,

I used 100g of fresh ground coffee in a hop sock straight into the fermenter for a few days after primary fermentation had completed. 23 litre batch of stout from a kit, fairly early in my brewing adventures.

Perfect (for me) coffee flavour and aroma, and I like a strong black coffee so not afraid of a coffee kick. 200g would be too much for me but we all have our own tastes.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Intothevoid
Tippler

Post by Intothevoid » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Cheers guys I ditched the 200 grams and am now going with 70 grams

Did anyone crush theyre beans or leave them as they were? Im thinking of a sandwich bag and rolling pin before steeping

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:01 pm

I too brewed a breakfast stout, I put in 50 g (ground stuff) right at the end of the boil, I also put some cold steeped 40g in 1/2 lt in the Fr.

As a well as coco nibs. I’d say it was a bit to coffeefide, but after the first one it taste good @ 8.5% abv

Cold steeping is meant to be a smoother taste/less bitter

Cheers
To Busy To Add,

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:58 pm

I think greg hughs calls for 500ml of coffee in hos coffee stout so that could also be used as a grounding to your figures

Tomp
Steady Drinker

Post by Tomp » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 pm

I’ve just made a coffee stout and on tasting before kegging, and decided against adding any coffee. It had just the right amount of coffee taste from the grains. Recipe was as follows:

Pale malt 3.8Kg
Crystal malt .67Kg
Chocolate malt .4Kg
Black malt .3Kg
Roasted barley .3Kg
Carafa III .3Kg
Flaked barley .16Kg

It already tastes like coffee. I tried doing some coffee to a test batch and it didn’t taste right so I left it.

This is the third time i’ve tried a coffee stout and in all cases, I’ve found I get the right amount of taste from the grains. The one I added cold brew coffee to, didn’t taste as good.
It started with kits to save money and now look........!!!

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

Could be worse :-)

Intothevoid
Tippler

Post by Intothevoid » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:05 pm

that's a bit deflating. im hoping myn comes out well. needs at least 2 weeks of cold conditioning or in my case , garage conditioning.

but I have a mate sending me some dark malts so I may try this recipe on a smaller scale.

Tomp
Steady Drinker

Post by Tomp » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:43 pm

Intothevoid wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:05 pm
that's a bit deflating. im hoping myn comes out well. needs at least 2 weeks of cold conditioning or in my case , garage conditioning.

but I have a mate sending me some dark malts so I may try this recipe on a smaller scale.
I’m sure it will be great. Let us know how it tastes.
It started with kits to save money and now look........!!!

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

Could be worse :-)