Floating bits in bottle

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
timbobist
Steady Drinker

Floating bits in bottle

Post by timbobist » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi. I've made my first Belgium triple, pretty standard recipe and hop schedule. I used mangroves jacks Belgium triple yeast. Everything went as planned. I bottled after 3 weeks and carbonated the bottles using wilkos carbonation drops. The bottles have carbed up and cleared up, I have opened a couple of bottles and everything tastes good. Only thing is there seems to be stuff floating in the bottle that looks like small hairs. I have never used carbonation drops before. Could this be the reason?

timbobist
Steady Drinker

Re: Floating bits in bottle

Post by timbobist » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Opened a bottle and poured it through a strainer the bits that were left had a sort of waxy texture to them. The ale tasted fine though? It must be the carb drops? ? Very strange

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Not something I've ever encountered tbh. I always bottle from a bucket with sugar solution mixed in.

Sounds dodgy though and maybe a good idea you're filtering before drinking to be on the safe side.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

timbobist
Steady Drinker

Post by timbobist » Thu May 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Just an update on the floating bits. I put a carbonation drop in a glass of water to see if when it dissolved there would be and bits floating. The answer was yes! Not sure what they are though? Maybe something that was used to bind the the sugar ball together??

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri May 11, 2018 2:55 am

most odd? generally i would suggest the odd floater would be due to a mutant yeast occurrence, not a bad thing, and statistically bound to happen sooner or later, tho any i have encountered have not been waxy??
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(