Strong seaweed off flavour

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
another nice mess

Strong seaweed off flavour

Post by another nice mess » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi everybody, I've had four batches spoiled this season by a horrible seaweed taste. I never actually see the word "Seaweed" used in any of the off flavour discussions, so I'm at a loss to find out what I might have done. Could anyone please have a guess at the proper name is for this, and perhaps suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Background info - 4 completely different recipes made with 4 different yeasts, made at 4 different times of the year (thinking airborne infections here), single vessel brewing (using the same settings) on the back doorstep with the back door open. I do use Irish moss but never use as much as the tub says. I've made other beers between these four problem brews and they've been fine. Same cleaning regime with VWP. I bottle everything and like to think I have complete control over my process. I kept my nerve for a few months with the bottles hoping the seaweed might go but it's still there.

Andy

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Re: Strong seaweed off flavour

Post by steviebobs83 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:07 pm

DMS can add a seaweed flavour. I've tried to attach a pdf via tapatalk from the Univerity of Nottingham on controlling off flavours but not sure if it's allowed to go onto the forum. Seaweed listed in the descriptors.

You can Google it though and it's on slide 7.[URL]//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5ae4c5c37c8 ... avours.pdf[/URL]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

another nice mess

Post by another nice mess » Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 am

That's a good article, and thanks very much for taking the time to share it.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 am

another nice mess wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 am
That's a good article, and thanks very much for taking the time to share it.
Likewise!

steviebobs83
Piss Artist

Post by steviebobs83 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:52 pm

No problem. However, in the interests of full disclosure, I just found it on the interwebs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk