Would this work...

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Paddington
Piss Artist

Would this work...

Post by Paddington » Tue May 01, 2018 9:04 am

I’m trying to cram a brew into a busy day. If I mashed and sparged then left the wort for around two hours before I boiled it, would that be ok?

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Would this work...

Post by Jim » Tue May 01, 2018 9:08 am

Well, it would be no worse than overnight mashing, which some people consider fine.

The only potential issue I can see is continued mash reactions during the stand time changing the sugar balance of the wort. Maybe mash at a slightly higher temperature to compensate?
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Tue May 01, 2018 9:12 am

...or get the runnings into the kettle and get it up as high as you can before turning it off and leaving it, if you have to...
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Tue May 01, 2018 9:44 am

Jim wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:08 am
Well, it would be no worse than overnight mashing, which some people consider fine.

The only potential issue I can see is continued mash reactions during the stand time changing the sugar balance of the wort. Maybe mash at a slightly higher temperature to compensate?
Jim,

What an honour!!

I was thinking of completing the mashing and sparging process to leave the finished wort in the kettle.

Mike.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue May 01, 2018 2:54 pm

if you raise the grain temp to 85c with the sparge you should denature (kill/destroy) the enzymes converting the sugars and thus freezing the malt profile of the brew before the halt/late boil. tho the higher temp could introduce some astringency and extra tannins..

Imho a 2-3hour delay shouldnt have a major impact tho especially if the brew is cooling down rapidly in the kettle.

So just Go for it ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue May 01, 2018 3:10 pm

As others have said - once you've got it in the kettle heat it up to 80-85c before you walk away.

Or mash in and then have your 2 hr break. Last year I got a 1st place at the London and South East competition with a beer that I did just that. I think it was mashed for 2.5 hours as I had to walk a very eager Border Collie. The beer was a saison, which benefits from being quite dry. A full bodied stout might not work as well.

In any case, do what you need to do to be able to make beer and have the most fun while doing it. There are very few rules in home brewing.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Wed May 02, 2018 10:11 am

you should be fine. A lot of people mash overnight and boil the next day. 2 hours shouldn't make any difference.

Brulosophy tested the process here http://brulosophy.com/2018/01/08/mash-l ... t-results/

R

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I was thinking of just leaving it to mash for the two hours I was out but it was the first time in a while I’ve used my bigger mash tun and I was unsure it would hold enough heat... rightly as it turned out!