Do these come apart for cleaning

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Do these come apart for cleaning

Post by mrboxpiff » Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 am

Hi everyone
These taps are very common and found on many pressure barrels. But does anyone know if they can be taken apart for cleaning and if so how?
Many thanksImage

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Do these come apart for cleaning

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 02, 2018 11:03 am

I think you can knock the moveable tap bit out. Then knock it back in again after cleaning. Not sure how many times you could do this before it leaks, though!

Guy

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Wed May 02, 2018 4:44 pm

mrboxpiff wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 am
Hi everyone
These taps are very common and found on many pressure barrels. But does anyone know if they can be taken apart for cleaning and if so how?
Many thanksImage

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yes the tap part pushes out. I always take mine to bits on my bottling bucket. They are a very tight fit, not had any leaks after a lot of taking it to bits. Well worth it as you cannot get it really clean otherwise.

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Wed May 02, 2018 6:23 pm

I open the tap and drop it thread end down on one of the spikes in the dish washer. It comes up very well.

Aamcle

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed May 02, 2018 7:52 pm

as above the central tap plug can be forced out and back in again but doing so will stress the containing plastic and can have negative effects in the long run resulting in leaks after an indeterminate number of out/back in cycles.

If attempted i would buy in a spare just in case.. you will probably need it next time if not this..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Post by mrboxpiff » Fri May 04, 2018 11:02 pm

Thank to those who have replied. I have taken the spout part out and put both elements through the dishwasher as suggested. There is however still moldy stuff lurking. Seems like this is impossible to remove. In which case, does anyone knows of a replacement tap that this either doesn't happen to, or can be fully disassembled?

Thanks again

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat May 05, 2018 7:45 am

mrboxpiff wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:02 pm
Thank to those who have replied. I have taken the spout part out and put both elements through the dishwasher as suggested. There is however still moldy stuff lurking. Seems like this is impossible to remove. In which case, does anyone knows of a replacement tap that this either doesn't happen to, or can be fully disassembled?

Thanks again

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
Maybe try soaking it in oxy clean. That might get at the mouldy bits. But to be honest if its in that state, buy another there cheap enough. Its not worth risking an infection for the sake of a few pounds :)

The ones i use are a two part design. So after use i take out the tap part and rinse through with hot water. Then use a thin bottle brush inside it, followed by a soak in oxyclean. I got mine from brewuk i think.