Unmalted wheat v flaked wheat

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Paddington
Piss Artist

Unmalted wheat v flaked wheat

Post by Paddington » Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 pm

I want to make a beer that uses unmalted wheat. The only homebrew supplier I can find who stocks it doesn’t do free p & p on big orders so I will effectively be paying £8 extra to use unmalted wheat rather than flaked. So, is it worth paying that much extra.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Unmalted wheat v flaked wheat

Post by Rookie » Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 am

Paddington wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:01 pm
I want to make a beer that uses unmalted wheat. The only homebrew supplier I can find who stocks it doesn’t do free p & p on big orders so I will effectively be paying £8 extra to use unmalted wheat rather than flaked. So, is it worth paying that much extra.
I wouldn't.
I'm just here for the beer.

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 am

I doubt that there's enough of a difference to make the cost worth it.
Isn't flaked wheat made from unmalted wheat?
I'm just here for the beer.

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Wed May 16, 2018 6:16 am

Rookie wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 am
I doubt that there's enough of a difference to make the cost worth it.
Isn't flaked wheat made from unmalted wheat?
That’s my understanding.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 am

Flaked wheat is cooked and rolled. If you want un malted wheat you can buy it from chicken food suppliers but you will have to soften by soaking it in hot water at around 55° C and then you will have the grain shaped equivalent of flaked wheat. So my advice is don't bother.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Paddington
Piss Artist

Post by Paddington » Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 am

Yes, I’ve just seen a good article from Brad on Beersmith, basically saying he has stopped using unmalted wheat as flaked and even torrified give the same results without the need for a cereal rest. If the mice hadn’t got at my torrefied I could have used that! A farmer mate of mine always comments on beer basically been made out of the same stuff he feeds his animals.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed May 16, 2018 9:29 am

Paddington wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:03 am
Yes, I’ve just seen a good article from Brad on Beersmith, basically saying he has stopped using unmalted wheat as flaked and even torrified give the same results without the need for a cereal rest. If the mice hadn’t got at my torrefied I could have used that! A farmer mate of mine always comments on beer basically been made out of the same stuff he feeds his animals.
True.

There's also a million and one possible malts you can put in your beer, but most have a similar end result and most are just developed by a maltster to meet the demand of a local brewery for a particular product.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Wed May 16, 2018 10:31 am

I’ve used unmalted wheat bought from a local feed warehouse.
It cost under £6 for 25Kg.
I found as long as I did a stepped mash and rested around 50c for 10 mins it was fine.
Upto 20% gave plenty of body and I couldn’t taste the wheat. At 33% it was a bit to wheaty for my tastes.
I used it in everything I brewed. Lager, Pale Ale, Stout all were great.
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)