Fruit wheat beer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
dean_wales
Drunk as a Skunk

Fruit wheat beer

Post by dean_wales » Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 am

Howdy.

I have made wheat beer before, with varying degrees of success but enjoyed none the less. I would like one of the beers on tap at my wedding to be a wheat beer but I reckon that it would be fun to have a fruity one! Oils and malter wheat base, 50/50 and magnum for bittering. Munich yeast and WB06 available.

Suggestions? It needs to be a crowd pleaser.

I will be making ten gallons and splitting the batch and adding fruit to one half.

I have loads of damsons but thought that might be a bit odd unless I mixed them with blueberries? Peach & apricot? Raspberry? Tangerines? Mango?

Other option is to add a load of fruit puree to the Saison I have which has just finished fermenting and could be racked?

Cheers,
Dean.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Click here for my cider pressing...
Click here to see my 20% Damson port experiment...
Click here for red wine from my allotment vine...

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Fruit wheat beer

Post by Manngold » Mon May 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi Dean,

I think that Raspberry would probably be a safe bet. It is also readily available in frozen form for you to use. From memory I used about 2.5kg of Frozen Fruit (I used summer fruit mix). Using Summer Fruit mix meant that it was fruity but it was also quite tart to begin with. People liked it, but I wish I had just stuck to Raspberry.

I used the Kristalwiezen yeast from the CML brewery. It dropped crystal clear in a matter of days once fermentation was complete.

brewfly
Sober

Re: Fruit wheat beer

Post by brewfly » Fri May 25, 2018 7:32 am

I’ve used Raspberries before and it was a really good beer, also a little tart but not offensively so. I split the batch down into demijohns to see which yeast I preferred. One was using a neutral ale yeast, the other a German wheat yeast.

I felt the neutral ale yeast made the better beer. Using fruit though, make sure you give it plenty of time before bottling - I added them at secondary and let them sit for 4 weeks. I’d used plums with a porter a while and left them a week. I ended up with gushers :(

I think I used a bag of 500g’s frozen raspberries per gallon but it was a while ago so I’m not 100% sure.