English vs. German Munich Malt?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
privatewiddle
Tippler

Post by privatewiddle » Thu May 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Hello. Just ordered a mill after a long time ordering crushed grain so I'm looking to buy a couple of sacks of base malts. I'd like to use English malt where possible so I was wondering if I can swap English maltster's versions of light Munich for the Weyermann / Best Malz I've been using so far without any noticable impact on my recipes?

Are they drop in replacements or would I need some adjustment? Are they so different that it the beer would be very different? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

I've also noticed that Belgium produces a version of Munich, but know nothing about it.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Re: English vs. German Munich Malt?

Post by HTH1975 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 pm

I doubt there is any more variation than you get with various base malts from the different maltsters. I rarely use Munich for anything other than small amounts of the grain bill, so it has less of an impact than if it was the bulk of the grist.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm

The british munich i've tried is utterly different. Not to say that they all are, it was what i'd call a specialty malt rather than a base malt.

privatewiddle
Tippler

Post by privatewiddle » Fri May 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks, I've been using it at 5 to 20% so far so I suppose at the lower end of that range it wouldn't make much difference, I'm thinking of making some darker German ales that use a lot of Munich so I think that for those I may stick to German malt if the English version tastes quite different.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Fri May 25, 2018 11:07 pm

I ran into the same issue a while back. The English has a much stronger flavour so you will only need to add 40-50%

Ian
Ian