Forgot my flame-out hops!!

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Forgot my flame-out hops!!

Post by StrontiumDog » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:36 am

Had a bit of a moment last night, COMPLETELY forgot to add my flame-out hops! I had a reminder on my phone and everything, no idea how I managed that.

In a blind panic when I remembered this morning I dumped the hops I was supposed to use in to the fermenter but on walking to the station it occured to me that fermentation was only about 6 hours old.

Q. Will this be a problem? My guess is that as fermentation kicks off it will drive out all the aroma so wait until complete, rack to secondary then dry hop again. Does this sound about right?

Cheers all

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Forgot my flame-out hops!!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:19 am

It will lose quite a lot of aroma during fermentation but not all, and flame-out hops don't contribute as much aroma as dry hopping anyway. So I would suggest tasting it once fermentation is over, before adding more hops. Some styles are a bit odd with too much hop aroma.

Similarly for bitterness, the dry hops will have added at least some bitter compounds (isomerising alpha acids is not the be-all and end-all of bitterness). So tasting may help decide if further dry additions are wise from that perspective, too.

TBH I have no idea what effect the physical presence of hops may have on the fermentation, it isn't something normally come across. My suspicion is that they won't be too bad for it, provided there aren't masses and they aren't left in it for months. Some people purposely add them somewhat before the end of fermentation in any case. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows differently, though.
Kev

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 am

Go all dry hop bud, keep it simple! Superior method anyway.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Robwalkeragain wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 am
Go all dry hop bud, keep it simple! Superior method anyway.

All dry hop? Nothing in the boil? Sounds interesting. More details please.

Guy

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:35 am

The NEIPA fad has some advocates of early dry hopping, admittedly not that early, but the theory here is based on what is described as "biotransformation". No, I don't know what it actually means either, but is supposed to counter the effects of CO2 "scrubbing" of aroma from dry hopping. Sounds contradictory? Welcome to the "no one really knows" world of brewing. Bottom line is the only risk you run is any contamination residing on the hops that the lack of alcohol would help to counteract. You still have a low pH and hopefully an overwhelming number of healthy yeast, so don't worry. Have a sniff towards the end of fermentation and consider dry hopping again if not satisfied with it.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

StrontiumDog
Piss Artist

Post by StrontiumDog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks for all the responses and advice :-) love this forum

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:18 am

I usually dry-hop at before fermentation starts so that any oxygen introduced with the hops is consumed by the yeast. I don't think scrubbing out of hop aroma is too much of a problem - surely that would affect flame-out hop aroma too? I also find that I don't get hop-haze when I dry hop at the start of fermentation so that may be another positive.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:14 pm

spook100 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:18 am
I don't think scrubbing out of hop aroma is too much of a problem - surely that would affect flame-out hop aroma too?
Yes it affects both, if added before the fermentation. Although flame out hops also suffer from the near-boiling temperatures and steam being given off, so (IMO) are the poor cousin of dry hopping WRT aroma. <80c steep hops are perhaps somewhere between the two. Though the results from flame-out (and to a degree steep hops) depend on the time taken for the wort to cool or be emptied from the kettle, so mileage may vary.
Kev