Diluted Chemsan in wort

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Diluted Chemsan in wort

Post by Monkhouse » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:56 pm

Hi, before I pump and send my wort through a plate chiller and into my fv I always send diluted chemsan from the HLT and though the hoses, pump and plate chiller.
Now I always remove the hoses and shake out the chemsan and tip chemsan out of the chiller but the last time I brewed some of this chemsan must have eluded me and it was pumped into the fv and followed straight after with the chilled wort, all 25 litres of it.
It never really occurred to me that this could be harmful and it’s been fermenting away nicely for the past week.
Do others have similar issues with getting diluted no rinse sanitizer into the wort? Does the yeast just eat it? I heard that starsan is basically safe to just drink if it’s diluted but not sure regarding chemsan. I seem to be stressing myself out about this but logically I’m sure this has happened on numerous occasions on my brewdays. 🤷‍♂️

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Diluted Chemsan in wort

Post by f00b4r » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:16 pm

You are not the first and certainly won’t be the last to do this. I would not worry about it too much, just be glad it was not Chemclean. ;)

Monkhouse
Steady Drinker

Post by Monkhouse » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:17 pm

Thanks foob4r for this, I can rest easier now 👍🏼

Top Cat
Piss Artist

Post by Top Cat » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:22 pm

I can’t see you having a problem. I was using starsan which I think is very similar, in a blow off container for my fermentation vessel. At the end of fermentation I force cooled the beer which sucked some back into the bin. Beer was sound! Don’t worry.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:43 am

Nothing to worry about.

Your chiller only has a small capacity. I’ve heard stories of people ending up with litres of sanitiser in their fermenter and the beer turned out fine.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.