No boil cascade...

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MashBag
Even further under the Table

No boil cascade...

Post by MashBag » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:05 am

But. Seems it was a no-boil recipe (an "ale" not a "beer")? Perhaps Mashbag will make some for us?

MashBag

Re: No boil cascade...

Post by MashBag » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:05 am

I am of the opinion (and experience) that fining and filtering remove flavour and character from beverages. The question is does boiling also do this.

Further, just 'cos the breweries do it that way we must too. They often make decisions based on cost or markets or profit. Sometimes flavour is not paramount.

I also think there is a huge ammount of shiney shiney that the Internet will sell you, that we don't need to make stunning beer.
But that is a bit rich coming from a BM owner 🤣🤣🤣

So yes, I am experimenting with noboil at the moment.

The results of the first attempt will be in soon.
I doubt it will be the last. The process (if it delivers the flavour) is spectacularly simple. And the taste is on point (for the stage its at)

I am using a known recipe, no other change.
Hopping with the mash and @ 80c.
Yeasted with Nottingham.

Let's see what happens.
At worst it will make a mediocre beer that I can correct before bottling. At best it could be quite delicious.

Nashbrew
Piss Artist

Post by Nashbrew » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:01 am

Keep us updated on this Mash am very interested.
Falling apart together nicley🍻

Goosey
Piss Artist

Post by Goosey » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:22 am

Well?......

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:38 am

Hmm. Where to start.

It is OK. Certainly not any quicker, really than my 45 min boil. Because you end up messing about with hop tea that doesn't quite hit the mark.

Unsurprisingly cloudy.
Unsurprisingly lacking bitterness.
But some rich deep flavours of biscuits and citrus.
The fermentation is quite different and protracted. And the skimmings make smashing loafs.

I think bottle conditioning will improve it. Only tried it warm so far (as tastings).
Cooler and carbonated, hot summer evenings.

No boil = no protein break = foamy as Hamish McFoamy on foamy day. This will have a head like Marge Simpson.

Will I do it again. Probably not. But I reserve the right to change my mind. Mainly because my house cascade really is what I like drinking.

That said. Summer drink tick. Base for a low alcohol recipe - Bob on. Fruity ladies beer, you bet.

There is something here definitely to develop, I just don't want too. Very pleased I tried it.