Calling - South Wales Brewers

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
deadlydes

Calling - South Wales Brewers

Post by deadlydes » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:36 pm

Another calling type thread.

I know there are a few South Wales brewers on here.

Would you be up for joining an informal South Wales brewers group? the idea being (sort of) meet to try each others brews, drink beer, organise bulk buying, perhaps talks from local brewers and then drink beers?

Meeting place to be organised but somewhere central and easy to get to?

Either reply here or PM me and i will try to get the ball rolling.

Cheers

Flibblebot

Re: Calling - South Wales Brewers

Post by Flibblebot » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:57 pm

I'd be interested, but it depends on where everyone is - after all, South Wales stretches for over 100 miles east to west! You wouldn't want to drive that far after "sampling" a few beers!

I live in Ammanford, and I'm surrounded by breweries (Hurns in Swansea, Felinfoel in Llanelli, Evan Evans in Llandeilo, Ffos y Ffin nr Carmarthen - and they're just the ones I know about!) and microbrewery pubs.

I'm just starting out, so I'd welcome the help and advice of other people!

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:49 am

I'd certainly have a think about it but living on the edge (geographically, that is) in Pontypool I'd have to think about getting home after having had a few. It's probably the sort of thing I could do about once a year only but it would be a great opportunity to get together, share experiences and beer and meet people of a like mind. I buy most of my material from Beer & Winecraft in Newport, though they have scaled down quite a lot recently. Do you know The Crown in Llantwit Fardre?

brewmasterflex

Post by brewmasterflex » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:27 pm

Amazing
I am in Pontypool as well , I would certainly be interested in getting together, And for cheap grain supplies. That shop in Newport has closed down hasnt it> ?

martyn142

Post by martyn142 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:34 am

I'm in Abertillery :D I work in Clifton in Bristol though so I usually go to a place on the Gloucester Road for supplies. Cellars in Canton is good too - I get down that way regularly to watch the Bluebirds.

I'm inclined to say too that I would try to make an annual or bi-yearly meeting but doubt I would get to weekly/monthly events. On the other hand if there were regular meetings and enough people to keep them going no doubt I could make time to pop in occasionally. That's all it is really - time - not a lack of interest in the idea.

don'tmakemegobackinthebox

Post by don'tmakemegobackinthebox » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:23 pm

i'd be keen to meet up, i'm in aberystwyth and i have yet to meet a brewer in the local area and swmbo gets this glazed look when i start talking brew speak.

if it was a weekend event i could drive down and pitch the tent.

brewmasterflex

Post by brewmasterflex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:21 pm

I just finished my Boiler Project SO Now I need a load OF MO, Anyone know where the cheapest place is>?

thesmasheddemijohn

Post by thesmasheddemijohn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 am

Yea wheres all this cheap 25kg sacks of malt i keep reading about cant find it for less than 33.00 + p+p

rodneybellmont

Post by rodneybellmont » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:32 pm

I live in Torfaen and rang my local micro brewery but no luck with cheap grain :( so come on Des where's all this cheap malt n hop's you say you can get hold of. :D

deadlydes

Cheap Grain and Hops

Post by deadlydes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:39 am

Hiya

Hop and grain prices come down significantly when buying in bulk, that's about the only way to do it. Brewerys get theirs cheap since they buy in bulk and often if the brewer is friendly they will pass the savings on to a local homebrewer who asks (and takes up a few bottles of beer!). if yours doesn't then unlucky but perhaps try a couple more places.

The second option is a group (this is also good as the group can order what it wants). If there is group set up that means the group can buy in bulk and get big savings.
Those that were asking about hops check this thread http://jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=20927
It doesn't come much cheaper that £10 for 500g posted. You guys that are local can come and collect which means you don't pay postage. Perhaps you haven't seen it but none of you have contacted me about these.

Grain - similar story. It is only possible to buy whole sacks from a wholesaler. It would take 1 person an age to get through a sack of black malt say. So this is where the group thing comes into play again. if its possible to share a sack of black between 5-10 brewers then it means we can buy bulk and have big savings. things like sacks of pale i am sure we get through enough on our own so its easiest dealing in whole sacks.

So you may have noticed the word GROUP keep coming up. To get these discounts we need a group set up. the group then puts their orders in one place then when there is enough to make an order we do so. then we meet to weigh out grains, weigh hops, have a bbq, have beers, chat, perhaps even brew at the same time. We all go away fed, watered and with cheap grain and hops.

I am not willing to just be a cheap supplies dealer i.e. order large amounts of grain/hops, store then, weigh them out and then pass onto people at cost. its something we need to do together - You don't get something for nothing!!

So if your interested in the group/bulk buying thing, drop me a pm with your email and potential amounts of grain/hops you want and then we take it from there. these things don't just happen.

oh yeah all of the above includes chemicals also e.g. peracetic, antiformin, yeast aid etc.

deadlydes

South Wales Brewing Group

Post by deadlydes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 am

So then looks like there is enough interest in a group of some sort.

Those that are interested could you send me a pm with your email, where your from, any particular interests in brewing, when you could meet and anything else that may be relevant.

I will then set up an email circle and perhaps we could sort something out in the next month or two.

How does that sound?
Cheers

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:21 pm

"I am in Pontypool as well , I would certainly be interested in getting together, And for cheap grain supplies. That shop in Newport has closed down hasnt it">

Hi brewmasterflex, I live fairly close to The Open Hearth pub on the canal. Beer and Winecraft no longer operates from the shop in Clarence Place but the owners of the business still sell brewing kits and equipment on a limited scale from home. Their number is Newport 255595.

brewmasterflex

Post by brewmasterflex » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:01 pm

cwrw gwent wrote:"I am in Pontypool as well , I would certainly be interested in getting together, And for cheap grain supplies. That shop in Newport has closed down hasnt it">

Hi brewmasterflex, I live fairly close to The Open Hearth pub on the canal. Beer and Winecraft no longer operates from the shop in Clarence Place but the owners of the business still sell brewing kits and equipment on a limited scale from home. Their number is Newport 255595.

Thanks CWRW I am not far from there aws well, I tried to ring that number off the website but no answer, perhaps he has stopped all together now ?

I might be popping down to http://www.vogbrewery.co.uk/index2.htm as they will sell 25KG bags for £30 dont know if that is good or not but its the most local I can find at the moment

jamesb
Hollow Legs

Post by jamesb » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:57 pm

phewbrew wrote:Before I commit...... can you tell me if the beer tasting will involve spitting or swollowing, alike to wine tasting :?: Since I come from way over the valley I would like to be sure :=P
Last time I asked a valley girl spit or swallow, I ended up with a black eye.

You have to swallow to judge bitterness.
James

"When you have lost your inns, drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England."
Hilaire Belloc, Preface to The Four Men (1911) ...

Big G

Post by Big G » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi All

Just came accross this thread and being local wondered if this actually took off???????

Thanks

Big G