Exeter homebrew comp

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
pads72

Exeter homebrew comp

Post by pads72 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:30 am

The Fat Pig pub in Exeter will be holding its 3rd homebrew comp in October - anyone entering?
Good to have the healthy competition!

pads72

Re: Exeter homebrew comp

Post by pads72 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Shame no other JBK people turned up (I assume)!

Anyway, I won best overall beer with 'Kama Citra' IPA, so will be brewing on their 2.5 BBL kit sometime before Xmas.

I'm well chuffed and excited!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 am

pads72 wrote:Shame no other JBK people turned up (I assume)!

Anyway, I won best overall beer with 'Kama Citra' IPA, so will be brewing on their 2.5 BBL kit sometime before Xmas.

I'm well chuffed and excited!
=D> =D> =D> Well done, I did have a moment of shall I shan't I but very pleased that a JBK'er got the top prize, many congratulations. Must say I envy you your prize, that is really exciting.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

pads72

Post by pads72 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks Orlando, I had a look at their basement brewery after the competition, and while cramped & small, it's a lot bigger than my 50L pot! I hope to go and shadow their brewer on one of their beers, then go back and do my recipe. Very exciting, and I'll update here with pictures once it happens.

Would have been a bit of a journey from Norfolk, but I'm suprised no Devon JBK'ers showed. If they do it again, I'll stick the details up on here.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:13 pm

pads72 wrote:
Would have been a bit of a journey from Norfolk, but I'm suprised no Devon JBK'ers showed. If they do it again, I'll stick the details up on here.
To say the least; looking forward to the pictures.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

ExMoth

Post by ExMoth » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Congrats pads72!
What was the turnout like for the Fat Pig homebrew comp? I'm relatively new to homebrewing and I'm curious to know how healthy the scene is in this part of Devon.

pads72

Post by pads72 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:20 am

ExMoth wrote:Congrats pads72!
What was the turnout like for the Fat Pig homebrew comp? I'm relatively new to homebrewing and I'm curious to know how healthy the scene is in this part of Devon.
There were about 30 entries, including a few ciders. There seem to be a few home brewers in Exeter / East Devon here on JBK, but not many!
Whereabouts are you?

ExMoth

Post by ExMoth » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm down in Exmouth. Are there any local brewing groups or gatherings do you know? I would certainly welcome any exchange of ideas and advice - not that I can offer a great deal in return, mind!

pads72

Post by pads72 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:16 am

ExMoth wrote:I'm down in Exmouth. Are there any local brewing groups or gatherings do you know? I would certainly welcome any exchange of ideas and advice - not that I can offer a great deal in return, mind!
Nice to have another home brewer in Exmouth! Not aware of any groups, though. At a previous Fat Pig homebrew comp I asked Hamish the landlord if he would see if entrants were happy to share details, but nothing came of it.
May ask again when I go to brew on their kit.

Where do you drink in town when not home brewing? I'm always happy to share ideas & beers

ExMoth

Post by ExMoth » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:26 pm

There is a (albeit fairly basic) home brew stall in the market and so there must be some kind of local activity. I mainly go to The Grapevine, The Beach and the Powder Monkey (for the beer choice not the atmos). I would be happy to attend your Q&A session wherever! Let me know.

Incidentally do you know what you're going to brew on Fat Pig's kit?

pads72

Post by pads72 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Similar pub choices for me! I also go to the Bicton as its my local, and the FnL.
The stall at the back of the Market is ok for a few basic bits & bobs, and ok for kit brews. I get my basic malts from Tuckers when in Newton Abbot and speciality malts & hops online normally. Yesterday I was in Plymouth so went into the Hop Shop there, which is pretty good. Stocked up on some yeasts, as he has a good selection.

As for the Fat Pig, I'm planning to brew the beer that won, 'Kama Citra' a (as the name suggests) Citra-hopped American pale ale.

ExMoth

Post by ExMoth » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:43 pm

so what happens to the beer you brew at the fat pig - are they gonna be serving it? Would love to try it. I'm currently mulling over using citra hops as the main focus of my next brew.

Cheers for the tip on the plymouth brew shop. Didn't know about that place. Will investigate.

pads72

Post by pads72 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:22 pm

ExMoth wrote:so what happens to the beer you brew at the fat pig - are they gonna be serving it? Would love to try it. I'm currently mulling over using citra hops as the main focus of my next brew.
Hi ExMoth, the Fat Pig will be serving it there and in their sister pub, the Rusty Bike. But I'm still waiting to brew it! They are trying to source some Nelson Sauvin whole hops (I used pellets) for the dry hopping. Will certainly let you know when it's on.

pads72

Post by pads72 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Went into the Fat Pig last Sat night - next homebrew comp is on Sun 27th April - get brewing! Will give out more details when I see a copy of the new poster.

pads72

Post by pads72 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:39 pm

5th Fat Pig Homebrew competition details below - beer & beards! I can try the first, not going to bother with the beard!