Jim's Northeast Brewer's Night.

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Jim's Northeast Brewer's Night.

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:28 am

Last in the quiz! Can't believe it. :lol:

Just as well the crack and the beer was excellent as usual. :=P

Thanks for the bottle swaps and freebies as well chaps - I forgot to say that my ESB will need a couple of more weeks at least before sampling, particularly as it will have got shaken about a bit en route.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:47 am

Yes, an interesting night to say the least. We could do with a few more to help in the quiz.
Thanks for the great night and the freebies, just as well that ESB should be kept a while as I need some time off drinking too. Mine has been in the bottle for a month so it's ready as soon as it settles. Will have a go at harvesting the yeast from yours Norm.

Darwin next time, will post the date as soon as Matt confirms it.

Enjoyed the night a great deal. Thanks.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

woblylegs
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by woblylegs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:47 pm

thanks for another nice evening. bit of a bad head this morning. (think it was that half you poured into my glass Jim :D )
much appreciate that yeast Eric. now ill have to decide what to brew with it and using them lovely hops. what a dilemma ey oh and the bottles to try. ended up with a carry bag of stuff. Norm shoved more hops in when he dropped me off.
lifes what you make it!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:47 pm

woblylegs wrote:thanks for another nice evening. bit of a bad head this morning. (think it was that half you poured into my glass Jim :D )
much appreciate that yeast Eric. now ill have to decide what to brew with it and using them lovely hops. what a dilemma ey oh and the bottles to try. ended up with a carry bag of stuff. Norm shoved more hops in when he dropped me off.
Yes, I'm a bit delicate myself today. I'm putting it down to the vanilla in that mild - I've decided I like my beer to taste of beer. :)

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:17 am

I'll make the next ono and win the quiz.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:55 am

alix101 wrote:I'll make the next ono and win the quiz.
That's great, the more the merrier. Also the more folk that attend help Matt attract more breweries who can send someone with more goodies to scrounge and knowledge to pass on.

Just been looking at the brew done on Sunday with Cullercoat's yeast and while on Monday I said it looked like Nottingham it certainly doesn't look that way now. It's been open fermented and I've just popped the lid on now as it seems in final stage of primary. Top cropped it on Tuesday and it will be skimmed before transfer but not sure if that will be kept, but it is easy to crop and although a gravity reading has yet to be taken, it seems very well behaved. Not heard anything from Seymour so far. Hope the slant hasn't run into trouble.

EDIT AND UPDATE. Just been informed the Eagle has landed.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Indeed, the eagle has landed. Thank you so so much, Eric!
I'll keep you guys posted on my findings.
Hey, we should each share our fermentation details here (OG, FG, temperature, time span) in order to learn this yeast's performance thresholds.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:54 pm

seymour wrote: Hey, we should each share our fermentation details here (OG, FG, temperature, time span) in order to learn this yeast's performance thresholds.
Indeed we should, after all we have a strain well mutated thought to be nearing its end and in need of replenishment. However that might not be so important for us as it is in a commercial world, needing to be an extra half degree warmer that it originally needed to get a quick start mightn't be a problem. In the cultures I made there was no temperature control, they were at whatever temperature our kitchen was, depending upon time of day or night and what might be cooking. Despite underpitching into Sunday's brew at just 15C, it was covered while slowly raising the temperature overnight to just above 20C by the morning, it started well and the cover removed. Then it was set at 18C and skimmed to remove any hop oils and debris that might have come to the top, then top crop harvested on Tuesday and Thursday when it was covered and alloed to cool to 16C. It had continued to ferment for longer than expected so the temperature has been upped to 18C with intent to take a gravity reading tomorrow. The OG was 1045 and there were 24 litres.

Just opened your beer Norm, beautiful, you must give me full details. Perfect carbonation and nice lacing down the glass with a good depth of flavour and lovely colour. Rudgate had another mild, Ruby Mild, but it wasn't on Monday night. Had it Wednesday and it was in a different league to the Vanilla Mild, it had a lot of depth to it as does your beer. Many thanks.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:31 pm

Eric wrote:.....Just opened your beer Norm, beautiful, you must give me full details. Perfect carbonation and nice lacing down the glass with a good depth of flavour and lovely colour. Rudgate had another mild, Ruby Mild, but it wasn't on Monday night. Had it Wednesday and it was in a different league to the Vanilla Mild, it had a lot of depth to it as does your beer. Many thanks.
Looking forward to trying your beer Norm - also I got the bottle of Ruby Mild out of our winnings for coming last (4 pack of various Rudgate beers). :)

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

woblylegs

Post by woblylegs » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:36 pm

norms beer= lovely colour, poured with a nice head and the carbonation is spot on. nice bitterness and a good mouth-feel. it has a nice, pleasant aroma as well. yes its an all-round nice beer. thumbs up from me norm.
Eric did you say yours was ready to drink?
i carnt remember if it was you or Jim that said it could do with a few weeks more conditioning time?
lifes what you make it!

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:59 pm

woblylegs wrote:norms beer= lovely colour, poured with a nice head and the carbonation is spot on. nice bitterness and a good mouth-feel. it has a nice, pleasant aroma as well. yes its an all-round nice beer. thumbs up from me norm.
Eric did you say yours was ready to drink?
i carnt remember if it was you or Jim that said it could do with a few weeks more conditioning time?
It was Jim's that needed a couple of weeks, mine's been in the bottle 5 weeks and should be ready to pour at cellar temperature. It won't have a head to match Norm's.

woblylegs

Post by woblylegs » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:05 am

thanks Eric
lifes what you make it!

woblylegs

Post by woblylegs » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:34 pm

Erics brew= poured as Eric said with no head but nice level of carbonation. light colour and is nice and clear. not getting too much on the nose, there's some body there and the taste is lovely. couldn't put the glass down its that kind of drink. id of happily drank several of this brew.
ill take my words back about them hops Eric. this is spot on. i think when we have used them in the past, too much was added. this is spot on. ill have to get the recipe if i could?
two down one to go.
lifes what you make it!

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks for those kind words. The beer heads beautifully out of the cask, but can't get it right in the bottle, much work for me to do there.
4000g MO, 200g Dextrin Malt, 45g barley torrefied for 23 litres.
30g Flyer 90 mins, 15g Fuggles and 30g EKG 15 mins, 15g Styrian Goldings 0 mins.
Did another as above but with 10g more Flyer and 15g less EKG and wasn't harsh either. It's possible the water treatment played a part in that too and if you add gypsum you might consider half and half gypsum and calcium chloride flake. I'll get you the yeast used for next meeting if you like.

woblylegs

Post by woblylegs » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:13 pm

thanks. yeast would be good.
im hoping to get a brew on the go this tuesday using them target hops and the yeast you supplied. directors bitter type brew. see how it goes. ill bottle a few for samples
lifes what you make it!