London Amateurs - new Brewing Club

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:29 am

Likewise, great to meet you too, and andybock. It was quite a thing being amongst such accomplished and experienced brewers, everyone REALLY knows their stuff.

Especially enjoyed the chat with Geoff from county beermakers along the lines of "IBUs? Load of bollocks" :D

edit: must remember people's names better, sorry Andy. D'oh! :wink:
Last edited by spearmint-wino on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

drinking: ~ | conditioning: ~ | primary: ~ | Looks like I need to get brewing then...
Visit London Amateur Brewers online

andybrock

Post by andybrock » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:52 am

Yeah,

Great to meet everyone.

I'm trying to get back into brewing after a hiatus, this is the incentive I need.

Although the beer is generally enough incentive.

Andy

SilverAnalyst

Post by SilverAnalyst » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:59 am

*sniff, snuffle* I's sooo sick. I hav post examination sickyness. Wish i could have come but so doped up on anti-cold dugss, hmph

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:02 am

Probably a good job you didn't come and infect all of us then! :lol:

The next meeting it provisionally scheduled for the 7th Nov if you're still keen to come along?

drinking: ~ | conditioning: ~ | primary: ~ | Looks like I need to get brewing then...

SilverAnalyst

Post by SilverAnalyst » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:03 pm

Yes, I'll cometh. My last exam is 17th October am just hoping sickness gone by then. But I'll be nith an free by Nov. I wish I'd come, though I'm still a newbie brewer and it sounded like you all are experts.

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:32 pm

Got some good news for anyone interested:

The first 'official' meet of London Amateur Brewers / Craft Brewing Assoc. will be held this coming Monday night (5th November), 6pm-9pm ->, upstairs at The Wenlock Arms, here (link)

Its about 5 mins walk from Old Street tube, off City Road (turn right up Windsor Terrace for about 200m or so). Its an awesome pub, usually has around 12 guest ales on 8) 8).
They're a totally cool bunch who are ok with us tasting our own beers providing we also drink plenty of theirs. Doubt that'll be an issue.

Everyone welcome: kit brewers, partial mash, all-grain, all levels of experience, real cockney's, provincial imports (me), commuters who work 'in town', even SWMBOs.

Drop me a note if you intend to come along, look forward to seeing you. Oh, and bring along a bottle of your beer if you can 8)

SilverAnalyst

Post by SilverAnalyst » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:08 pm

I'll be there even if I'm the only one!

By the way spearmint, are you named after the gentleman's club?

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:16 am

To a degree...

Its also the nickname I gave to a certain lady at my old work who would oft publicly remove her clothing when she'd been on the drink and the "nose" :lol: :shock:

prodigal2

Post by prodigal2 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:28 pm

spearmint-wino wrote:To a degree...

Its also the nickname I gave to a certain lady at my old work who would oft publicly remove her clothing when she'd been on the drink and the "nose" :lol: :shock:
What do you mean SW :roll: :roll:
Yet again work will conflict with a meet, but please pass on my regards to one and all.

SilverAnalyst

Post by SilverAnalyst » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:01 pm

Woohoo! (as Homer Simpson would say)

I'm about three stops (plus one change) from old street after work. Nice.

SilverAnalyst

Post by SilverAnalyst » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:13 pm

See y'all tomorrow. Though I will probably go there straight after work. Which means I'll be there at five. I'll take a book and have a couple of drinks and read until someone arrives.

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:58 am

Looking forward to tonight's proceedings. See y'all there 8)

SilverAnalyst

Post by SilverAnalyst » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:37 pm

I really enjoyed that even though I had to leave early. Next time I'll stay for the whole meeting. Good to meet everyone. Who where you Spearmint? I couldn't really spot you from that which I figured you looked like.

Anyway, thanks to David.E for buying me a drink. I'll get you one next month, a smoky one I'm guessing.

Anyway, this is what I learn't in my time there:

1. I definitely need to know more about phenols.

2. It's possible to ferment coca-cola!

Ok, I was not entirely serious about the cola one. Although I can't say I'll never do it ;).
Last edited by SilverAnalyst on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spearmint-wino
CBA prizewinner 2007

Post by spearmint-wino » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:30 pm

So what did you think I looked like? Lets play a game of 'guess who'... :D

Good to hear you enjoyed it and shame you had to leave before we tasted everyone's beer, the standard was good as was the variety and it was really enlightening to hear people pick up on certain flavours and what causes them. Ant's talk on Phenols was good too 8)

SilverAnalyst

Post by SilverAnalyst » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:41 pm

What was the homework this time?