Suffolk Homebrew Competition

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
Cazamodo

Suffolk Homebrew Competition

Post by Cazamodo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:50 am

Hope I can put this in here.
I'm running a competition at our brewery this year, just to see if its something we could get away with doing annually! It's still in its early stages, but I have a brief page of info on it.

It's open to all in anyone is interested, with the chance to come brew a beer in the brewery for the winner.

http://briarbank.org/briarbanks-2016-ho ... mpetition/

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Suffolk Homebrew Competition

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:55 pm

I've moved this into 'Events' since that seems a more appropriate place for it.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 am

Cheers Jim!

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:18 am

Just a couple of questions...

What would be required?

We would be looking to receive 3 500ml bottles from each entry. These bottles should, if possible, be plain with no labels.

How do you plan to keep track of entries correctly if there is nothing on the bottle to link it to an entry form and does this include green, clear, and brown glass bottles with pop tops or crown caps and/or green and brown PET bottles?

And

Is there a fee to enter?

There is no entry fee! However we will require a fully-refundable deposit of £10 when submitting the completed application form. This will be returned when the beer to be judged is delivered.

What is the point of this? Either make it free with no exchange of money at all or make it a £5 entry fee. That way you get £5 whether the beer is delivered or not instead of wasting time getting money from people and then paying it back.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Yea sorry I should make that clearer.

As mentioned, I'm seeing what works and what doesn't as this is the first time trying something like this.

The bottles will be labelled when delivered. I will have the entrants details already, when the drop the beer off I will stick a label on with a code on it. Code corresponds to the entrant, that way the people judging only see the code, and only I know what's what.
As for type of bottle, Id prefer standard brown beer bottles but it shouldn't really matter.

The deposit I've been thinking about today anyway. You're right, it's a bit of a hassle to mess around with deposits and such. I'd just hate to have say 15 entries and then only 2 turn up on the day, but even if that's the case its not too bad!

I'm not taking entries until March/April, so info can and probably will change as and when people point out issues with it haha. Always good to have more than one set of eyes look something over.

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Excellent stuff, the majority of the other stuff is fine. Having entries is March/April is a long time to wait for judging.

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Ah I mean, that will be the time I start taking entries as in literally just a form with name and beer style on it. I wouldn't be after the beers themselves until end of August!

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:24 am

This is a great idea, apart from the national HBC there's a small amount of possible competitions.
I know there is other competitions but theres room for more.
The Saltaire event was a brilliant event and social gathering which will be missed.

I'm assuming this is a closed competition and not a social event but it's a positive step.
And I hope the competition is embraced because it will be alot of work.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:24 pm

It's a closed competition in a sense that only the judged and myself will get to try the beer entered, but we are hosting the judging and then results the weekend of our August Beer Festival.

I'd love it to be a social event too, to get everyone together to enjoy good beer, and waffle about brewing!

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:14 pm

Have you had much intrest yet ...Bump :wink:
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Rad

Post by Rad » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:56 am

I'll be interested. It's good it's announced so far in advance. Is there was a way sing up for notification for when the entries start? I'm not interested in newsletters but I'll forget all about this by April :)

Cazamodo

Post by Cazamodo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:07 pm

I Have had more interest that I thought we would by this point, so I'm slightly optimistic!

I wanted to put the word out early, but well aware people may forget. We will have a simple entry form (name, email, and beer entered) to fill in and enter with.
I'm not pushing these out until at least the end of February, mainly on the basis people may enter and completely forget.

And don't worry, no-one will be added to a mailing list, the only emails you'll get are if there's an problems, and then a couple of reminders closer to the deadline.

And I've had a few emails from people asking to be notified, and just added them to a list to send the entry form to when their out. If you'd like to be added a quick email to brewing@isaaclord.org will do.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:01 am

Sounds like fun, and it's nice and local for me :)

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:44 am

I'm certainly interested. I have a beer maturing at the moment that I'm using for reviews and comps.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 am

Kyle_T wrote:I'm certainly interested. I have a beer maturing at the moment that I'm using for reviews and comps.
Not too sure what to brew yet, but I'm sure I'll change my mind 20 times before the brewday!

I've always fancied popping to the brewery :)

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%