Black Friday competition 2017

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Black Friday competition 2017

Post by Jocky » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Once again London Amateur Brewers are running the ‘Black Friday’ homebrew competition, which is a competition for only black (or at least very dark) beers, and is judged on Monday 20th November, so there’s plenty of time to get a dark brew going.

The competition is open for entries now, it’s £6 per entry, and to ensure everyone gets a go we’re keeping it to 1 entry per person for the first week as it usually sells out.

You can register at: http://competitions.londonamateurbrewer ... ackfriday/

As always, the beers will be judged by qualified judges, and we pride ourselves on providing the best feedback possible, so you will learn something. I really think that it’s a great way of improving your brewing as you get feedback that is as objective as it can be, and should include suggestions of what to improve.

The competition culminates in an evening of sampling of all the entries on Black Friday, (24th November) at UBrew, Bermondsey, London. UBrew will also have exciting commercial examples available for purchase on the night also. Entrants may bring further examples of their entries to share on the night, and it’s a lot more fun than shopping.

Thanks for reading!
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Black Friday competition 2017

Post by orlando » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am

What category is a Stout that has chocolate added to it?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Chocolate stout would come under:

37A Spiced, Herb or Vegetable Black Beer (Custom Style)

You will need to enter the base style (this is the category the beer would fit into if you hadn't added any chocolate - so is it a Sweet Stout/Foreign Extra Stout/Tropical Stout/Imperial etc) and describe the additional flavour (chocolate in your case).

Side hint: If you can't actually perceive the chocolate flavour or if it's muted then just enter it in the appropriate stout category. The judges only judge what they perceive, and most of the standard stout categories do allow for chocolate aromas and flavours, and the judges won't know how it got there.
Of course if it screams CHOCOLATE then it definitely sits in 37A.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:34 pm

It SCREAMS!!!! CHOCOLATE. So 37a it is but chocolate is a nut not a herb or vegetable, is it therefore considered to be a spice?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Yes.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:00 pm

If you haven't entered yet - please go and register and put your entry in:

http://competitions.londonamateurbrewer ... ackfriday/

We've got 80 entries from 80 brewers with the competition limited to 110 entries. The entry cap will be raised to 2 next week, and it'll take minutes to fill those remaining entries.