Norwich Amateur Brewers - Brew Like a Monk competition.

Members' meetings, Beer Festivals and the like - bung it on here. Old topics will be pruned after 3 months.
keith1664
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Norwich Amateur Brewers - Brew Like a Monk competition.

Post by keith1664 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:46 am

Norwich Amateur Brewers are pleased to announce the launch of our latest competition, so pleased we popped into the Malt Miller and made a launch video.

https://youtu.be/ng6Z-tmyW94

https://competitions.norwichamateurbrewers.co.uk/
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

keith1664

Re: Norwich Amateur Brewers - Brew Like a Monk competition.

Post by keith1664 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:53 pm

When we first mooted the idea of holding our own competition we spoke to London Amateur Brewers for some advice, they told us the hardest aspect was to find a venue. Fortunately for us we found one that was ideal and they're helping us out again this time.

Martin went along and shot a short video to introduce Ampersand to those of you who aren't familiar with them.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/4uSRWPgcWKQ[/youtube]
In or near Norwich? Interested in meeting up monthly to talk and drink beer? PM me for details.

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:52 pm

As I write there are 35 places left in the competition, it's now open for second entries if you'd like an extra. Cost for the second is an additional £6.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:56 pm

I've just entered with a yet to be invented Belgian Quad and my (currently holding a pint of) JImgaarden wit. Might even make the event as I've been to Diss - my Mate's Wife is from there and I was best man at the wedding.

Time to see if what I think is good matches others expectations!

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:28 pm

Good luck with your entries, the brewery is literally a five minute walk from the train station so very easy to get to.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Wed May 10, 2023 9:25 pm

Just giving the 18 day matured Quad a try and it's very good already. Grabbed one of the beginning/end of run bottles to test so it has some sediment that sits at the bottom of the glass, which is probably comparable with most of the quads I have drunk over the years!

The Wit went completely clear in the keg, but the bottled version retains slight haze. I think I'm meeting the style guide, just a bit more maturation before dispatch!!

keith1664

Post by keith1664 » Wed May 10, 2023 9:37 pm

I've a Dark strong currently fermenting and a Tripel that's not sufficiently carbonated, I'll be introducing it to some fresh yeast when I find the time.

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Wed May 10, 2023 9:39 pm

So we will cross swords in the dark strong category, bring it on!

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:26 pm

Well my beers are on the way. Dark strong that's very nice but maybe not dark enough, and a Witbier that isn't particularly hazy unless some sediment is stirred up. The Wit was also mad overcarbonated so I had to take the caps off let it fizz out and top up the bloody bottle at the end!

I made these back in April, plan was that these were mk1 and I'd refine another batch. Sadly life changed with my Dad being in hospital and sadly dying in June, making brewing a low priority so mk1 is entered in the comp. The beer was clearly nice as I had 4 bottles of wit left (now 3 on way to Diss and 1/2 bottle left in my fridge for me to have on results day. I have I think half a dozen of the dark strong left in the fridge, best not drink all of them on the day at 11.4%!

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:51 pm

Results live stream up soon if anyone else entered!

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:52 pm

Only two of the dark strong left as well, whatever the judges say I like it!

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:58 pm

Well I didn't get a mention but I enjoyed the livestream with the man in the monk costume. Also enjoyed my 1/2 bottle of Jimgaarden and bottle of Monkchester Abt while watching. Well done to those who organised and did the hard work of drinking it all!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:38 am

It was a cracking day out for me. I judged some Saisons in the morning with an Italian lady who'd come all the way from somewhere near Rome to Diss to judge! And then with Andy the Head Brewer of Ampersand, we judged half of the Dark Strong beers.

I was then very pleased to get Gold for both my Witbier and my Golden Strong, both going on to feature in the top 3 in BoS. More than I had expected!

I also enjoyed a number of Ampersand's beers and when I got home I discovered some cans in my rucksack...how did they get there? ;)
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

drjim
Piss Artist

Post by drjim » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:32 pm

Just got a pack of yeast in the post from the competition organisers. My beers didn't do as well as yours, 21 for the dark strong and 30 for the witbier (which is not bad I suppose). Not sure I recognise the description of the dark strong having umami flavours, I thought it was really nice!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:04 pm

Who judged your beers?
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!