Brew day from hell!!!

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Post Reply
Meirion658
Tippler
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:13 am

Brew day from hell!!!

Post by Meirion658 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:38 pm

All was going well planned and filled the GF last night for an early morning session. 6.30am the timer kicks in and the water is all ready for my Belgian Witt.

The brew went well and the smell from the orange and coriander was fantastic. Time to transfer into brewmaster.

As I was transferring I thought I would multitask and start cleaning the hop spider with the hit water from the wort chiller.

There I am washing away and and as I look over I see a pool of wort all over the floor under the American fridge freezer it was all over the place. School boy error of leaving the tap open!!!!

I lost about 5 litres in total. Absolutely gutted.....

chefgage
Piss Artist
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by chefgage » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Dont worry too much. I think at some point all of us have left a tap open or hose not connected. Mine was the IC chiller hose from the mains water that disconnected itself whilst I was outside adjusting the flow from the tap. I looked through the kitchen window and saw water squirting up to the ceiling. I said this before but the ceiling did need cleaning :mrgreen:

User avatar
Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Posts: 7071
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:22 pm
Location: Derbyshire, UK

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:00 pm

I'd guess this has happened to a lot of us over the years, it helps to build up a useful level of paranoia :)

But (unless it was a 5L batch) you will have 'some' beer to show for your efforts so you're still ahead. As Hellish brew-days go, it could have been much worse - no blue flashing lights involved!
Kev

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories
Posts: 5181
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Cowley, Oxford

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by Fil » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:30 pm

i think its a rite of passage for every brewer to start filling a vessel with valuable beer or pre beer liquor with a tap open.. I know ive done it..

thank goodness you caught it before you lost the lot.. and be greatful it wasnt hot liquor that spat out of the tap at groin level while you were stood in front of it, as that has happened to at least one brewer!!
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

brewpete
Steady Drinker
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:13 am

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by brewpete » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 pm

as beastie boy lirics go as long as i learn i make mistakes

User avatar
FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 pm
Location: Lenham Kent

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by FUBAR » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:09 am

Like most,I've been there,done it and got the T shirt.Seems to be the norm in brewing,everything going smoothly and to plan,you then take your eye off the ball and let your guard down and it starts to go tits up.Your brew day was far from hell in the scheme of things,although 5 litres of any liquid goes a long,long way in the mess stakes,made even more painful that its wort, but the consolation is the remaining majority of wort will become Beer.
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/


I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

charlie
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Nr Milnthorpe, Cumbria

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by charlie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm

I've done it.
I wouldn't have lost as much beer if I hadn't been multitasking.
I've only done it once though.
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

User avatar
jasonbrooker1985
Steady Drinker
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:26 am

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by jasonbrooker1985 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Meirion658 wrote:All was going well planned and filled the GF last night for an early morning session. 6.30am the timer kicks in and the water is all ready for my Belgian Witt.

The brew went well and the smell from the orange and coriander was fantastic. Time to transfer into brewmaster.

As I was transferring I thought I would multitask and start cleaning the hop spider with the hit water from the wort chiller.

There I am washing away and and as I look over I see a pool of wort all over the floor under the American fridge freezer it was all over the place. School boy error of leaving the tap open!!!!

I lost about 5 litres in total. Absolutely gutted.....
Did that on my first ever AG batch, completely forgot to turn off the tap to the BK during my sparge, I was livid and there was a lot of swearing. Wife pi$$ed herself laughing, always good to have additional support...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


User avatar
orlando
It's definitely Lock In Time
Posts: 6550
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by orlando » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 am

charlie wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm
I wouldn't have lost as much beer if I hadn't been multitasking.
Agh the myth of multi tasking. This is doing more than one thing at a time, agreed? But, as you add a task it increases how badly you do all them. You might not want to mention this to the "opposition". :lol:

FWIW my "favourite" is allowing the HLT to run dry with the element glowing red with frustration at having no water to heat, cue lights dimming and going out with a bemused brewer stumbling around in the dark wondering what has just happened. #-o :roll:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Mrs Worthington (White Shield Clone)
Conditioning: St. Petersburg (RIS)
Drinking: Hazy Shade Of Winter, Kernel Bogey (India Porter), Mild Boys
Up Next: Black Dog, London Calling, Gertcherbrewed, Autumn Almanac
Planning: Autumn drinking beer.

charlie
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Nr Milnthorpe, Cumbria

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by charlie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm

orlando wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 am
charlie wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm
I wouldn't have lost as much beer if I hadn't been multitasking.
Agh the myth of multi tasking. This is doing more than one thing at a time, agreed? But, as you add a task it increases how badly you do all them. You might not want to mention this to the "opposition". :lol:

FWIW my "favourite" is allowing the HLT to run dry with the element glowing red with frustration at having no water to heat, cue lights dimming and going out with a bemused brewer stumbling around in the dark wondering what has just happened. #-o :roll:
I cold sparge these days.
For the last two brews sparging has been endless though.
Does anybody else suffer a stuck sparge with a grainfather?
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

chefgage
Piss Artist
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by chefgage » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm

I wouldnt say a stuck sparge, but it certainly is slow.

charlie
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Nr Milnthorpe, Cumbria

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by charlie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:31 pm

chefgage wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:24 pm
I wouldnt say a stuck sparge, but it certainly is slow.
Perhaps I should be putting in the larger, less floury things in first.
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool
Posts: 3075
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: South Wales UK. Soon to be out of the EU

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by WalesAles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Brew day from Hell when I can`t find the Tin Opener! #-o

WA

Sent from my Sofa whilst supping an Earl Grey Stout! :D

Crastney
Steady Drinker
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Brew day from hell!!!

Post by Crastney » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 pm

I make Kombucha in a gallon DJ type container with a tap at the bottom. same kind of thing, stood happily pouring warm tea in at the top, which for a while was below the tap level, then wondering why there's brown liquid cascading down the front of the kitchen units. I'd obviously left the tap open. luckily, with that though, you just make more tea.

Post Reply

Return to “Brewdays”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest