Double McTwist IPA - 22/02/10

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
196osh

Re: Double McTwist IPA - 22/02/10

Post by 196osh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Sounds pretty damn good.

Bringing any of this guy along at any point?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:01 am

Sorry, it's near enough dusted off :D

Like I say, I'm no good at brewing hoppy beers and this one doesn't really cut the mustard.

I'll have plenty of the Vienna, Rauch & Hefe to share though.

Oh by the way the demo beer has fermented out now, both of them. It was a pretty warm weekend to I think the yeast went wild. I had a little sip from each and it tastes fine so far.

196osh

Post by 196osh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:34 am

mysterio wrote:Sorry, it's near enough dusted off :D

Like I say, I'm no good at brewing hoppy beers and this one doesn't really cut the mustard.

I'll have plenty of the Vienna, Rauch & Hefe to share though.

Oh by the way the demo beer has fermented out now, both of them. It was a pretty warm weekend to I think the yeast went wild. I had a little sip from each and it tastes fine so far.
Good stuff. Any idea what it finish at?

I made the mild that has some of your Dark Crystal and Chocolate malts in it. Turns out my effiecny appears to be pretty dramatically infulenced by the OG. Was supposed to end up with 22L at 1036 and ended up with 24L at 1040...

Checked it today. Yeast head is almost gone and its down to 1020. I would be looking for it to get down to at least 1014.

Looking forward to that Hefe. Never brewed one but I love them. I think I will brew some of them for the summer. :mrgreen:

That Big belgian is siting at 9.5% abv. :mrgreen:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Alright, so I popped open another one of these tonight and it's much better. Still nothing to write home about but the acidity and green-ness has calmed down and it's got a pretty good hop flavour and aroma. The bitterness is lacking so it's a bit like an APA. This is a good reference point for my next IPA, I will probably bump up the IBUS by another 20, and probably jack up the dry hopping by about 50%.

Still learning when it comes to hoppy beers. Owen I'll bring a couple of these for you and you can tell me what you think as you're way ahead of me when it comes to IPAs.

I also have to say that I definitely think hoppy beers need a bit of age, I have to remember this because it's getting ridiculous. I can't leave beers alone long enough. I think 2 months from brewday for IPAs.

196osh

Post by 196osh » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:53 pm

Great stuff. I look forward to trying it.

I dont know about 2 months but yeah especially exteremly hoppy numbers they can do with a bit of time to get rid of that sort of tannin thing they have going on. That NS IIPA is rounding out nicley.