Brewday 24th March - Rauchbier

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
TheMumbler

Re: Brewday 24th March - Rauchbier

Post by TheMumbler » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:33 pm

mysterio wrote:I'm not very experienced with the style of beer... probably best to start on the conservative side I suppose. I can always do another one.

Plus the stuff is pretty expensive.
It looks like it will be a nice pint to me. As you say, you can always brew another.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Fermented this around 8.5 C and it has finished up now. Just raised up the temperature a little for a diacetyl rest. Probably won't get a chance to keg it until next week but if you wan't to try it, come to Glasgow on the 30th of April.

yogester

Post by yogester » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:50 am

mysterio wrote:Fermented this around 8.5 C and it has finished up now. Just raised up the temperature a little for a diacetyl rest. Probably won't get a chance to keg it until next week but if you wan't to try it, come to Glasgow on the 30th of April.
How is it tasting? Is it "liquid bacony" enough now it has been in bottle a bit? Very interested to see how it turns out!

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:54 am

Hi, I had a pint last night and I really like it. The smoke was strong at first and has subsided a little. I would say it's about at the level where I like it and I think it is approachable for people. It's not at the levels of Sherlenka (sp). There is a bit of fruitiness which I can't tell if it's from the yeast or just my mind playing tricks with the smokiness.

Theres a little bit of tannin (hardly any) in the mouthfeel which will be considerably smoothed out with some more lagering I think. I kegged this by the way.

196osh

Post by 196osh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 am

Great stuff.

Remember to leave some. Hopefully this can convert me to smoke beer.