Ulysses 31 - Galaxy Pale/amber ale 20-12-11 + PICS

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Ulysses 31 - Galaxy Pale/amber ale 20-12-11 + PICS

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Cracking set of snaps there mate :)
We've done two Galaxy brews at work now, each time they have clogged the hop filter plate and made for a pain in the ass transfer! The Hops were really really sticky, though I dunno if this can cause problems like really fine 'floor sweepings' looking hops do.

How's that Super yeast then?

Lugsy

Post by Lugsy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:05 pm

They do taste as good as they smell and it will be awesome, thanks very much to Dean for these! I was quite concerned about mine when it went into the barrel but it's turned out VERY drinkable, SWMBO isn't keen but then she's a bit of a hop wuss TBH and at least I get to drink it all myself. I'm about a gallon into my keg and it's nice and bright now, I think it could do with a bit more malt presence to balance the weight of hops I used but it's all learning eh?

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:46 am

pdtnc wrote:Cracking set of snaps there mate :)
We've done two Galaxy brews at work now, each time they have clogged the hop filter plate and made for a pain in the ass transfer! The Hops were really really sticky, though I dunno if this can cause problems like really fine 'floor sweepings' looking hops do.

How's that Super yeast then?
Cheers man.

The cones of these hops were massive! dark green and brown tips, and covered with lupulin. So oily as well. They smell fantastic.

The WLP090 seems to be a great yeast. It's pretty much done with this beer I think, gonna take a SG reading tomorrow but the air lock is all but still now 2 days later! :D From having a coulple of pints of my BIPA I think this is a very clean yeast like 001 but maybe helps to bring the malt through a bit more that 001, while still emphasising the hops. Quite well balanced TBH! :D

deanrpwaacs
Piss Artist

Post by deanrpwaacs » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:12 pm

Hello peeps ,Glad you are all enjoying the galaxys.
They do make a nice pint , i only have 4 bottles left that i brewed so i must get cracking and do some more.
Great pics leeds , i must do a brewday at some stage.
Regards Dean.
Drinking ,Arrogant Bsteward,Black Wit,Cream Rye Stout,
Conditioning,Tally Ho,Spitfire
In the FV,Nowt
In the cube,Nowt
Coming up ,Old Spec Hen,Red IPA,Mega Hop Thing,Larkins Chidingstone,maybe a venture into Lager.
Love hops drink beer have a look here http://uk.ebid.net/items/ramengltddean

Spud395

Re: Ulysses 31 - Galaxy Pale ale 20-12-11 + PICS

Post by Spud395 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:35 pm

leedsbrew wrote:
Other high alphas that are apparently good for aroma include apollo, summit (which I have used in a black ipa late and it is good!), and even CTZ.

I'm going to be experimenting with more of these super alphas late in the noil very soon.

cheers

LB
Add Columbus to this list.
I'm finishing a Columbus pale ale that is drinking really well and I know there's a micro brewery considering using this hop as a result of trying this beer :wink:

leedsbrew

Re: Ulysses 31 - Galaxy Pale ale 20-12-11 + PICS

Post by leedsbrew » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Spud395 wrote:
leedsbrew wrote:
Other high alphas that are apparently good for aroma include apollo, summit (which I have used in a black ipa late and it is good!), and even CTZ.

I'm going to be experimenting with more of these super alphas late in the noil very soon.

cheers

LB
Add Columbus to this list.
I'm finishing a Columbus pale ale that is drinking really well and I know there's a micro brewery considering using this hop as a result of trying this beer :wink:
Aye spud! CTZ stands for Columbus, Tomohawk, Zeus as they are for all intents and purposes the same hops marketed under different names. It's meant to be really good used late! How would you describe it?

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:49 pm

There you go LB, I didn't make the connection, I knew Columbus and Tomahawk were the same, never even heard of Zeus.

I'm so bad at describing tastes, but here goes.

When it was young it was very upfront/maybe harsh and citrus, but to my mind lacking a little and I reckoned it needed to be partnered with another hop.
Drinking my last few bottles after prolly 2 months in the bottle it's a different story, there's some spice 1st but a lovely smoothness and a orange/tangerine thing going on.
The beer it's used in is a session pale ale, 4.5% with a medium body and only low 30's IBU's, late hops and dry hops.
This batch is 16.7%AA

Hope that helps, but I would defiantly say it's worth giving a go late, I'll be doing it again for sure

Manx Guy

Re: Ulysses 31 - Galaxy Pale ale 20-12-11

Post by Manx Guy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:52 pm

leedsbrew wrote:Well boil is nearly over. Had to get a brew on today! I haven't brewed in ages and my stocks are looking dangerously low! Gonna have to get a couple more on sharpish.

I names this one Ulysees 31 after my favourite TV cartoon when I was a kid. INTRO MUSIC HERE. I figure he travels through the galaxies........it's a brew with galaxy! Makes sense to me! :D

Just uploading some pics to photobucket now so will post the ASAP! :D
Looks good LB!
One of my fav cartoons too as a kid...
Loosely based on the oddessy I believe...?

Not used galaxy before how does it smell?

:)

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:39 am

Well this has been on dry hops for 6 days today. I had a sneaky taste yesterday and it is tasting very good. The bitterness is so smooth, it could probably take another 10g of magnum next time. Either that or becouse I've been drinking my 70-75IBU Black IPA for the past few weeks my palette has become acustome to more bitterness. :D
Manx Guy wrote: Looks good LB!
One of my fav cartoons too as a kid...
Loosely based on the oddessy I believe...?

Not used galaxy before how does it smell?

:)
I've been watching them again on u toob and love them! "ulysseeeeeeeeees ulyssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees" Yeah! :D

as for the galaxy, the flavour and aroma is all mangos and tropical fruit! Absolutley love it. I'm going to keg this on Sunday and then carb for a week before I tuck in! Can't see it lasting long! :D

Shrunken Reaper

Post by Shrunken Reaper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Looks and sounds awesome... Good work :)

On a random note, I'm going to be moving up Leeds way soon... what are the Local Homebrew shops like up that way?

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:54 am

ey up matey! cheers, aye it's turned out a nice one! I kegged it the other day. If't still got a little haze but that'll drop out with all the cold weather! I reckon when I re-brew it I'm going to up the magnus addition as I think it could do with a bit more bitterness, and I'll up the dry hops as well! :D

Leeds is becoming somewhat of a homebrew hot bed! Barley Bottom is just down the road, morley home brew as well.
We have a budding homebrew club that meets every quarter for a tasting session in Mr Foley's. the blog is http://leedshomebrew.blogspot.com/

cheers

LB

Shrunken Reaper

Post by Shrunken Reaper » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Wow, are you going to be taking part in the Revolutions Brewing competition then?

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:44 pm

yeah planning on! got next week off so may be brewing a fair bit! :D

Shrunken Reaper

Post by Shrunken Reaper » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 am

On a random note I was in Shipley the other day and found a decent little home-brew shop there, no sign or anything just a guy sat in a shop surrounded by brewing equipment... he sells milled and unmilled grains, hops... pretty much anything you could need (Except Starsan apparently)

It might be worth taking a peek

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Hello Leedsbrew,
Did you buy that Black and Decker Workmate just for your Brewing! I can`t see any signs of DIY activity on it, ie, saw marks, chisel gouges, paint, mastic, etc. Mine would fall apart if I put a FV on it. Hmmm, Perhaps Santa will bring me one. When I show SWMBO this photo, she will see that it is an essential piece of kit for Brewing and DIY!
WA