Brewday 15th June - Old Precipitation

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Seveneer

Post by Seveneer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:48 am

No not pregnant Steve just used to get really stressed out in her previous job so she's having a few months off.

She'll have to curb that shoe habit though :lol:

/Phil.

SteveD

Re: Brewday 15th June - Old Precipitation

Post by SteveD » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:17 pm

Scooby wrote:
SteveD wrote:
* pack aa values were 4.5 for fuggles and 4.6 for goldings but for the 2005 harvest.....21 month old hops, so using promash and guessing at 10c storage temp I gave them a value of 3.2aa (slightly up on promash..to err on the safe side)
Interesting, I needed some So4 so popped in to the nearest HB shop and glancing at the hops thought about some cascade, all the hops were 2005 harverst so gave it a miss. How do you work out the drop in AA, is it in Promash?

The So4 was use by 01/08 as well :roll:

BTW a rep was with the owner, Youngs I think, he was pushing a cornie with a chrome tap conversion the same as Norm has, I eaves dropped their conversation and the rep was saying that the keg could be force carbonated with a keg charger :shock: and that 1 maybe 2 cylinders would do the job and dispense a full cornie :shock: :roll: keg and tap £100
....robber!

It's in promash. Select the Hop IBU tab, pick your hop, enter the pack aa value and then enter values for age, which you know, packing which you also know, and storage temp which you have to guess at. Still, it gives you an idea of what the aa value might be.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:47 pm

Thats brill, thanks Steve, pity it's not a function in BeerAlchemy :cry:

If I encounter this I'll take the scientific approach of chucking a load more in :lol:

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:31 pm

Just bottled 2 Quarts, 4 pints, and filled a cornie to about 1" from the gas dip tube. G1015 down from 1070, with slight activity. There was 1.2kg of clean yeast slurry compacted at the bottom of the FV :)

How's yours, Wez?

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:49 pm

How long before you tap the corny? :D

Frothy

Post by Frothy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:33 pm

Brewing in this weather now that's dedication. What kind of ale is old precipitation, a stout or a porter?

Frothy

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:26 am

oblivious wrote:How long before you tap the corny? :D
Not before September, and then not in a major way till it gets cold. It's a winter brew, for sure. :D
Frothy wrote:Brewing in this weather now that's dedication. What kind of ale is old precipitation, a stout or a porter?
Not so much dedication as idiocy :D Summer brewing has nothing going for it..too warm, too many malevolent microbes floating about ready to do mischief in your wort, etc. The only good thing is being able to brew outside in the nice weather. But then, is that good? Nope...swarms of bastard fruit flies carrying vinegar bacteria just itching to get at the wort. Strong high UV sunlight to skunk your beer even before it's out of the blocks, and if it's not sunny, it's bleedin' raining! Hence, Old Precipitation ;)

No, there's a lot to be said for the accumulated wisdom of our forefathers. "Summer beer doth not keep, therefore thou shalt not brew later than March or earlier than September", said Jehovah to Moses on Mt Sinai.

I've already lost one brew to infection (probably lactobacilli), if I lose any more, I'm going to pack up for the summer and concentrate on building the new brewhouse, which will open for business round about October.

Old Precipitation is neither Stout nor Porter. It's more an 'Old Ale' in the style of Old Peculier - but a bit stronger, 7.2% abv at racking gravity, or the original Burton Ales

A proper porter would have a good wedge of Brown malt in it, and a Stout more Roast Barley.