Brewday 14/07 - "Not Tonight Dear"

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Wez

Post by Wez » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:10 pm

3. A new thing? Pray tell!
I've always just had a go at keeping20 brews under but many have been way over 24-25 :oops: if there is a significant taste diff here then i'll do better temp control in future - secured our works old fridge today (which is only 12 months anyway) and can fit a Fv in it.

Really happy that this one's not been above 20 since pitching, expect i'll rack early next week.

Question - finings -"talk to me" :lol:

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:21 pm

Ahh, excellent. Buy an ATC800 temperature controller and use it to set and maintain the fridge's temp at whatever you want. I use one on a chest freezer, and it works a treat. I've also just aquired a 6' larder fridge, and another ATC800. It will take 2FV's + blow off set up, no problem.

A controlled fridge IMO is the best bet for year round fermentation and conditioning temp control.

You can get the ATC800 on fleabay

http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/Virtual ... 24QQsofpZ0

Wez

Post by Wez » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:24 pm

Nice one! Looks like Birthday cash spent! :D

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:25 pm

I'd been looking for those for ages SD :?

All I ever got in my searches was old Rover air con units :lol:

Wez

Post by Wez » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:33 pm

Vossy1 wrote:I'd been looking for those for ages SD :?

All I ever got in my searches was old Rover air con units :lol:
I once had a 214si - twas shite.

mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by mixbrewery » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:38 pm

I got one a few weeks ago for £15 s/h on fleabay.
Unit came in original box and instructions.
Just the temp probe needs a clean cause the guy used it in a fish tank!! :?

Just looking for the fridge / freezer now. People are paying silly money for s/h ones.
I've also been looking at those foil backed insulation panels to make my own chiller cabinet.
Cleaning seems to be the major issue here.

Just found this for those who have loads of space - Chiller
Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by mixbrewery » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:39 pm

ATC800.... not a shite Rover!

Sold that to my borther last year 8)
Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

Wez

Post by Wez » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:46 pm

DaaB wrote:
Wez wrote:Well just checked the SG of this one the foam has gone, Mrs Wez has been a star and has been temp checking, and adding / removing freezer blocks while i've been at work and between us we've kept the temp at between 17.5 and 18.5 degrees. 8) It's dropped to 1018 from 1060 so it's 5.5% already so i'm on target for my 6%'er!
Safale is reputed to have an attenuation of 73% making your target 1016 although I have got more in the past.
Cheers DaaB, will watch it this week it may move on Friday evening to secondary after having a bit of AF (check me out....secondary!) :lol:

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:48 pm

mixbrewery wrote:I got one a few weeks ago for £15 s/h on fleabay.
Unit came in original box and instructions.
Just the temp probe needs a clean cause the guy used it in a fish tank!! :?
You got it then!! I was watching that one, but missed the end of the auction - sick as a parrot. :lol: Fishtank? Yep, that's what they're for!!

Vossy - same here, but I searched a little deeper and found the Chinese sellers.

Wez

Post by Wez » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:57 pm

DaaB wrote:
Wez wrote:
DaaB wrote: Safale is reputed to have an attenuation of 73% making your target 1016 although I have got more in the past.
Cheers DaaB, will watch it this week it may move on Friday evening to secondary after having a bit of AF (check me out....secondary!) :lol:
According to the Mr Malty pitching rate calculator you should have used 1.3 sachets for 25L of 1060 wort so technically you under pitched. It should be fine though.
Watch it go to 1014 by Friday 8) :lol:

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:01 am

DaaB wrote: According to the Mr Malty pitching rate calculator you should have used 1.3 sachets for 25L of 1060 wort so technically you under pitched. It should be fine though.
Ok....who is going to open a pack, chuck it in, then open another measure out 3/10ths of it, and throw the rest away? Nobody! They'll chuck it all in!...so that's 2 packs then. ;)
:lol:

Wez

Post by Wez » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:03 am

So........lets see what happens here - I have good temp control avg 18 degrees on a 1060 brew with 1 pack of s-04 my money says it'll go 1014.

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:05 am

Watch it go to 1014 by Friday
It will you watch :lol:

I must have really stressed my poor old packet of Gervin in Old Rambler :twisted: .
One packet in 23ltrs of 1070, still it went down to 1011, 3 points beyond target of 1014, the little critters can't have been that stressed, besides how would they notice when they're that p**sed :lol:

Wez

Post by Wez » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:07 am

Vossy1 wrote:
Watch it go to 1014 by Friday
It will you watch :lol:

I must have really stressed my poor old packet of Gervin in Old Rambler :twisted: .
One packet in 23ltrs of 1070, still it went down to 1011, 3 points beyond target of 1014, the little critters can't have been that stressed, besides how would they notice when they're that p**sed :lol:
=D> =D> [-o<

I want 1011 :lol: :lol:

Wez

Post by Wez » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:09 am

DaaB wrote:
Wez wrote:So........lets see what happens here - I have good temp control avg 18 degrees on a 1060 brew with 1 pack of s-04 my money says it'll go 1014.
Some people will bet on anything :roll: I'd just keep my fingers crossed it makes 1016 :wink:
:lol: :lol: I have water, i'll get it to whatever I want ! :lol: :lol: