Inpromtu Brew Day - Stout

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Seveneer

Inpromtu Brew Day - Stout

Post by Seveneer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi Guys,

well, I couldn't wait to try out the new gravity brewery so I took a day off work and, this morning, headed over to Andover Patio Centre for Propane, hose and regulator.

Got home about 10:45 and statred brewing a stout.

Recipe is 1.6kg pale malt, 200g roasted barley, 400g flaked barley and about 45g of EKG's.

Brew length is a massive 10 litres.

OG 1.050

Anyway, all done now so here are the pictures...

Crushing the grain straight into the mash tun....

A good stir then shut the mash tun up for an hour...

Sparging with the sparge arm from my main brewery...

Ongoing sparge....in my haste to brew I ignored the non-photogenic background :lol:

Boil...

And that's it. I didn't bother marking up the boiler so I had no idea where 10 litres was. As a result I stopped sparging earlly and only made about 8 litres instead. Never mind. I'll measure properley next time when I'm in less of a hurry to brew.

All in all, it was a good brew session but a lot of time and effort for not very much beer :roll:

/Phil.

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Inpromtu Brew Day - Stout

Post by Aleman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:14 pm

Seveneer wrote:All in all, it was a good brew session but a lot of time and effort for not very much beer :roll:
Thats always the problem with pilot batches, When I build mine I'll probably go for a corny full.

Seveneer

Post by Seveneer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:34 pm

I think it will be OK with 2 gallons when I've dialled the system in and understand the measures/levels and the quirks. Also, it will force me to bottle condition which suits the kind of beers I'll be making better than kegging.

/Phil.

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:45 pm

It just seems wrong...7...and so little shinyness :lol: :P

Great job 7..when you going to start selling the 'little' system :lol:

Seveneer

Post by Seveneer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:01 pm

Vossy, I won't be selling them for a number of reasons. I thought about it though. Briefly :wink:

DaaB, the piece of wood is already costed into my other brewery :wink:

I'll certainly save time bottling the smaller batches but the actual brew day is near enough the same. Maybe half an hour saved by not having to boil so much wort and perhaps another half an hour each saved in the cooling and the sparging. So absolute tops an hour and a half saved.

/Phil.

Seveneer

Post by Seveneer » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:17 pm

I haven't tried batch sparging but I did consider it. I might give it a whirl next time.

I thought I'd bash out a pale ale at the weekend to try and dial in the quantities. I'll probably use batch sparging then :D

/Phil.