Guinness clone

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
ciderhead
Piss Artist

Re: Guinness clone

Post by ciderhead » Fri May 13, 2016 8:23 pm

Hanglow wrote:They add food grade lactic acid now at guinness
I don't know who told you that but it's not true.

daf

Post by daf » Fri May 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Yeah I doubted that too. Seemed unprofitable when you already have the capacity to add soured wort as they have done for decades.

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Fri May 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Your getting warm

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat May 14, 2016 12:37 am

I'm sure it was one of the Beoir chaps who mentioned it. Also it would be much more profitable to have a token amount of soured wort for marketing purposes, then use lactic acid in very controllable amounts than having to use soured wort only. They already brew to high gravity to save space/money, stopped cask to make more money, stopped bottle conditioning to save money etc, etc, so it would make sense for them to do that.

daf

Post by daf » Sat May 14, 2016 7:47 am

Might treat myself to 4 cans of Original this evening, this talk has made me thirsty!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat May 14, 2016 2:09 pm

Hanglow wrote:Using S04 yeast might get you there too, lots of people don't like that yeast because of the lactic tang it imparts as it's a lactic acid producer. Bit harder to control that though :)
I have heard quite a few people mention this yeast seems to divide people like marmite but this is the first post mentioning the likely reason why, thanks for the info.

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Sat May 14, 2016 2:40 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Hanglow wrote:Using S04 yeast might get you there too, lots of people don't like that yeast because of the lactic tang it imparts as it's a lactic acid producer. Bit harder to control that though :)
I have heard quite a few people mention this yeast seems to divide people like marmite but this is the first post mentioning the likely reason why, thanks for the info.
Interesting haven't picked that up in my tweaked wherry with S04. F00b4r when I get the cp set up you can try some and see if you can pick it up.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat May 14, 2016 4:38 pm

I don't know why it sometimes doesn't taste tart, I've used it a few times and have had it not tart and once or twice it's been very evident. I can only think that yeast likes to get the ph of the wort down and it will produce more acid if the buffering potential of the wort is higher/the ph is higher etc. Maybe Yeaastwhisperer or Mcmullen or GW might be able to answer it . It was yeastwhisperer who mentioned it as a lactic acid producer on an older thread