Ghost ship clone (BIAB)

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Ghost ship clone (BIAB)

Post by Monkeybrew » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:50 pm

Kyle_T wrote:I have a recipe for this that came from Fergus, Your not that far out.
Ooooh, can you share it or PM me?

I'm thinking of brewing a lesser strength version, probably aiming for around 3.6%.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Well i just introduced my barrel of this brew to the drain, and i'm not sure that it was aceobacteria, wouldn't that have made the whole batch vinegary? when i tipped it the wonderful hop aroma was still there, but i had tasted it before and it tasted cidery, in fact it reminded me more of my home made scrumpy that i ferment just with the natural wild yeast from the skins, so i think at some stage wild yeast got into the stored yeast.

Oh well you live and you learn.

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:57 pm

[quote="bigtoe"]from the website:

Brewed with Pale Ale malt, Crystal malt, Munich and some Wheat malt. We use Columbus, Chinnock and Citra hops - See more at:[/quote]

That's interesting. I've got a photo of their beer list plus ingredients, from going on the tour, just last Christmas. That lists pale ale, rye (not crystal rye) and caramalt. I wonder why they'd make the change the the grain bill, I thought the rye was quite a key part.

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:20 am

GHOST SHIP CLONE

Just passed the 3/4 mark on my 5 litre can of Ghost Ship and I'm thinking of making a batch of my own (supplies from the UK are precarious as you can imagine). Started the can by stealing the yeast and that's growing nicely. Has anybody got a tried and tested recipe that tastes pretty much like Ghost Ship?
I've looked above and seen some good posts and I got this from the Adnam's site:
Ghost Ship is a ghostly pale ale which takes its inspiration from Adnams 600-year-old haunted pub, The Bell. Brewed with a selection of malts - Pale Ale, Rye Crystal and Cara. We use Citra, and a blend of other American hop varieties to create some great citrus flavours. Bronze Medal Winner at The International Brewing Awards, 2013.
Would love to hear from anyone who feels they've got it pretty much spot on.
Thanks in advance.
I'm cheap. Just give me beer.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:03 am

This should get you close.

Maris Otter 94.8 %
Caramalt 2.6 %
Crystal Rye Malt 2.6 % 0.08 L

Hops to 50 IBU

Mash InC 64.4 C 90 min

Boil Ingredients

Boil 10 minutes

20.00 g Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ)

40.00 g Cascade

Steeped Hops

Cascade Steep/Whirlpool
Citra
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 am

An Ankou, you managed to get the yeast from a 5L minicask? I thought they had moved all the %L casks to keg now, good news if you can still harvest the yeast.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:43 am

Indeed, they're in party kegs now. I sent an email to Adnam's last year to ask them whether they used the brewing yeast or a bottling yeast in the kegs. They responded to tell me that having consulted the head brewer, the beer was filtered and contained no yeast at all.
Well, that's not quite the case! I harvested the yeast from an earlier keg with little trouble (I sanitised the red tap and then drew off the first 200 ml). This keg is a little older, but after two days in a malt extract solution, the culture is producing a foam after a bit of a swirl around the flask and I expect it to be fizzing away tomorrow.

I read elsewhere about another home brewer making a similar culture from the dregs after he'd emptied the can. I think this is risky as you have to let air in to get most of the beer out. So unless you're going to drain the can at a single draft, I'd go for the first way. But if you are going to down it in one, why not try both?

It's a dual strain, by the way, so I only use it for a couple of generations in order to have a chance of keeping them both, but every first generation bottle is the source of a new culture if you remember to keep one or two.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:30 pm

Southwold Bitter is still "cask conditioned". Same yeast.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:24 pm

orlando wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:30 pm
Southwold Bitter is still "cask conditioned". Same yeast.
Orlando, even the Southwold Bitter in the 5L mini-keg? They all say mini-keg now and I emailed them last year and they confirmed they were all keg. Maybe their filtering doesn't remove all the yeast as An Ankou has found :)
Last edited by clarets7 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

Cowboy44
Sober

Post by Cowboy44 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:23 am

Just found this commercial version at my local yesterday. Not a bad drop and I really notice and appreciate the very English 'ale' flavour. Keen to hear how the clone tracks along the commercial. Would love to give it a go.

Thanks!

Kilterums
Tippler

Post by Kilterums » Sun May 16, 2021 5:49 pm

Evening chaps.

On the topic of harvesting the yeast from the 5l mini-cask, I drew off most of the ale from a Broadside cask and ended up with 400ml which looked pretty clear.

After 4 days of sitting the 400ml in 800ml water/125g DME, it seems to be foaming up reasonably.

My (novice) question is that with a fair amount of the white stuff at the bottom of my conical, do those who have done this before think that will be enough to pitch into 23 litres?

I'm brewing tomorrow (o.g. planned to be 1.069), so my plan was to decant off the supernatant into a second conical and keep it going. The residue will go into the brew. If (after a few days) the brew isn't fermenting well, then I could add more from the second starter.

Cheers

Steve

orlando

Post by orlando » Sun May 16, 2021 10:01 pm

1.069 is high gravity for any yeast. You're going to need as much as you can get.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

An Ankoù
Steady Drinker

Post by An Ankoù » Mon May 17, 2021 6:58 am

When I make a starter this way, or from the dregs of a bottle, instead of building the starter in progressively larger flasks, I make a half batch (12 litres) of beer of around OG 1050 and chuck it in there. When that's fermented I've got enough yeast for anything I'm planning to make, plus some beer to drink while it's in the making.
Last edited by An Ankoù on Tue May 18, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilterums
Tippler

Post by Kilterums » Mon May 17, 2021 10:25 am

Yep, thought the amount of yeast would be a potential issue. Hence, holding back 25% of it to try and build up more just in case the brew doesn't take off. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

orlando

Post by orlando » Mon May 17, 2021 10:46 am

Kilterums wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:25 am
Yep, thought the amount of yeast would be a potential issue. Hence, holding back 25% of it to try and build up more just in case the brew doesn't take off. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

I don't see why you don't use all of it. If a fermentations stalls it's usually because it can no longer ferment the long chain sugars. A yeast that stops isn't going to start again if the same yeast is introduced. It is likely to stall too. Only adding a high attenuating yeast or Brett is going to finish it. Under pitching is one of the biggest issues in home brew.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: