3 Floyds Zombie Dust

Had a good one? Tell us about it here - and don't forget - we like pictures!
Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

3 Floyds Zombie Dust

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:20 pm

I picked up half a pound of Citra as part of my last US hop order, without having much idea of what to do with it - I've never brewed with it before, but sampled it in various other brews.
Found a clone recipe for 3 Floyds Zombie Dust which came with a lot of good feedback (I've never tried the real thing), and should certainly be a good showcase for Citra hops, being single hop and also using up the entire half pound in a 21 litre recipe :shock: Also, more the style of pale ale/IPA that I am leaning towards now, with a bit more malt interest, further accentuated (hopefully) through the use of an English yeast. Also went with a fairly balanced water profile, more or less just what I ended up with after adjusting with CRS/AMS, with the sulphate touched up just a tad (about 100 Cl, 140 SO4).
Also picked up some Brewbrite from Rob at the maltmiller and decided to give that a go (have used it a fair bit in Aus a few years back, and I remember it working well).
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.92 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.92 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 15.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 67.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 69.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.60 kg Maris Otter Low Colour (3.0 EBC) Grain 1 80.7 %
0.55 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 7.9 %
0.25 kg Caragold (Crisp) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 3.5 %
0.25 kg Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (88.7 EBC) Grain 4 3.5 %
0.25 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 5 3.5 %
0.05 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 6 0.7 %
15.00 g Citra [13.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 23.5 IBUs
28.00 g Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 19.8 IBUs
28.00 g Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 14.4 IBUs
28.00 g Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 7.9 IBUs
30.00 g Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 1.8 IBUs
1.1 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 Yeast 12 -
90.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: NO SPARGE
Total Grain Weight: 6.94 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 34.07 l of water at 71.7 C 66.5 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min
Recipe tweaked very slightly to use up some Caragold I had lying around (replacement for Carapils - shouldn't be too much in it), also used a medium crystal instead of 60L, as I am finding the UK 60L is a little bit roasty for my tastes (from memory, when I was using Briess (I think) down under, I wasn't getting quite as much roasty/toasty out of it).
Also dropped the hops a tad because mine were a bit more potent than the listed recipe.

Mash went smoothly, although I undershot my pH (5.3 room temp) and had to bring it back up with 2g of slaked lime:

Pre-boil runnings - pretty much on target, and nice and clear:

Brewbrite was added at about 1m left in the boil, got a nice cold break in big clumps:

And more or less on target - I actually ended up with 24l in the fermentor @ 1.063:

Gorgeous colour on this one, which comes out better in the glass.

Pitched a 1.8l starter of WLP002 made from a fresh pack, and chucked in the fridge with wort chilled to 18.5 and fridge set for same. Really looking forward to this one - 90g of Citra to go in as dry hops, I think its going to be tasty..

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: 3 Floyds Zombie Dust

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:53 pm

That looks a great colour. I love Citra and making use of my stocks while I can still get it at this time of year. Look forward to hearing how this tastes.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:45 pm

Rhodesy wrote:That looks a great colour. I love Citra and making use of my stocks while I can still get it at this time of year. Look forward to hearing how this tastes.
Tasting great so far - just had a taste of the refractometer sample. The WLP002 has done 35 points in just under 48 hours so far, it really is a monster that yeast!

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon May 30, 2016 5:18 am

I've been looking at the Brulosophy MACC IPA as a next brew which uses loads of Citra, Amarillo, and Mosaic.

How did the single hop Citra work out? The pics looked great.
Ian

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon May 30, 2016 12:00 pm

donchiquon wrote:I've been looking at the Brulosophy MACC IPA as a next brew which uses loads of Citra, Amarillo, and Mosaic.

How did the single hop Citra work out? The pics looked great.
That sounds extremely tasty, but the only recipe I can find online has honey malt. What, if anything, are you subbing for this over here (or did you manage to find some honey malt??).

The Zombie Dust is unreal - one of my favourites to date, and also very popular with everyone who has tried it. I dry hopped it twice, once in the FV and again in the keg and it has extraordinary aroma and taste. It is also very smooth and "creamy" - I guess partly because of the high FG (1.016) and maybe also the higher Cl / lower SO4. Also very nice malt presence, but not overly sweet at all. It's a definite brew-again (once my citra order arrives) and I may try the same grain bill & yeast with a few other hops - all centennial and all Mosaic spring to mind.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon May 30, 2016 12:14 pm

You cannot buy honey malt here and apparently there is nothing with the same qualities (there is a shop in Bury st Edmunds claiming to sell it but it is melanoiden and won't give the same effect). I actually had some uncrushed delivered to my wife's hotel when she was in NYC last month, I probably have more than I will ever use so am happy to do some kind of swap in return for some samples of interesting recipes made with it; it seems to be good in at least marzen and American IPA styles if not over done.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon May 30, 2016 12:51 pm

Rob at Maltmiller recommended subbing Dingemans Aromatic Malt. Any thoughts?

I've orderd the grains and it's next on my brew list once the JBK Summer Quaffer is out of the fridge!

Utterly sold on the Zombie Dust...(you should be on commission!)....where would I find the original recipe? Thanks!

Let us know how your version 2 works out! Cheers!
Ian

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon May 30, 2016 1:31 pm

I more or less followed this recipe. Changes were caragold for carafoam (would have used carapils but had some caragold to get rid of and think it is more or less the same), and crystal 45 instead of 60 - again, I had it handy and I doubt there is a lot of difference there (also, I am not so keen on the darker crystal flavours). Otherwise the same pretty much, with some of my sack of MO "low colour" instead of US pale. A full half pound of Citra in 21 litres :)

f00b4r that's a generous offer. How much have you got? Unfortunately I don't bottle any more, so I'm not sure how I would share the spoils - although I could try filling a bottle from the keg (I really do want to get a keg bottling device at some point).

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon May 30, 2016 2:15 pm

I bought 10lb uncrushed (they were 5lb bags and the postage meant it didn't make sense to just buy one) of it so 4.5kg in new money.
I am pretty sure I have seen people say don't go much above about 300g on a US 5G brew length or it gets very cloying so I cannot see my brewing partner (Demig) and I getting through all of it in the next year (not sure if it would be good past that, although i store it in a sealed blue barrel and will re vacuum seal either packet whenever they get opened).

Even if you keg a lot of people rate and seem to find it useful to have around the Chinese copies of the plastic Pegas counter pressure filler (£30<) or the newer steel carbonation caps (£10<) for the occasional bottle fill straight from the keg without the oxidation issues you get from the growler fillers if not drunk ASAP.

I have seen a few of your threads and you seem to brew some interesting beers so just let me know if you want some and I am sure we can sort something out.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Mon May 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Cool, cheers! Definitely interested in a brew or two's worth :) Might give me the kick up the bum I need to sort a bottler out as well, as it would be nice to be able to share a few bottles.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon May 30, 2016 2:32 pm

Matt in Birdham wrote:I more or less followed this recipe. Changes were caragold for carafoam (would have used carapils but had some caragold to get rid of and think it is more or less the same), and crystal 45 instead of 60 - again, I had it handy and I doubt there is a lot of difference there (also, I am not so keen on the darker crystal flavours). Otherwise the same pretty much, with some of my sack of MO "low colour" instead of US pale. A full half pound of Citra in 21 litres :)

f00b4r that's a generous offer. How much have you got? Unfortunately I don't bottle any more, so I'm not sure how I would share the spoils - although I could try filling a bottle from the keg (I really do want to get a keg bottling device at some point).
Thanks Matt - recipe saved!

Funnily enough I was just watching a vid of a decent keg bottling cap....worth a watch...(the youtube link is in the details)

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=743

f00b4r - I'd missed your offer of the honey malt - as with Matt I might have postage issues sending you samples from the Alps. I'll let you know I find a way to make it work! Would be good to be using the real thing!

Also good to hear someone else foisting brewing kit pickups on their wife!!! =D>
Ian

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon May 30, 2016 2:37 pm

Yeah I noticed you were in France but if you want to cover postage am happy to send out enough to make the IPA.
I felt a bit guilty about it until I picked her up at the airport and noticed the massive Louis Vuitton box she was carrying!

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon May 30, 2016 8:59 pm

f00b4r wrote:Yeah I noticed you were in France but if you want to cover postage am happy to send out enough to make the IPA.
I felt a bit guilty about it until I picked her up at the airport and noticed the massive Louis Vuitton box she was carrying!
Ouch! So an expensive grain delivery then all in all! :wink:

I was just about to take you up on your kind offer, and then realised that the grains I have ordered have already been pre-mixed - doh!

Next time...
Ian

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon May 30, 2016 9:41 pm

Yep! No worries, it will be interesting to see how it turns out with the sub.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Here's a pic for an idea of how it turned out. I never really manage to take nice pics of beer in the glass - any tips?
Anyhow, very tasty but I've got a horrible feeling that this keg is going to kick very soon..